Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Keep Alive" option to prevent car from turning off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wycolo

May 16, 2012
WA & WY
Is there a way to keep car alive for 30 min or whatever. Waiting in a ferry line with radio ON, getting in and out of car a few times over a ~45 minute period was going well until the line started to move and poof(!) both screens totally dead and took me 2 minutes or more to boot up. Having an option to KEEP CAR ALIVE in 30 min intervals, or somesuch, would be a simple way to avoid this grief altogether, no? Or is there a ploy available that I've never noticed?

After successfully rebooting and waiting for the next ferry I decided to remain in driver's seat and move car back and forth a few feet at a time every couple of minutes like a fool in order to KEEP CAR ALIVE - great publicity for Tesla:)
--

I think you're looking at the wrong solution. You should be checking into why it took 2 minutes to come out of sleep as that definitely should not happen. My instinct tells me you just were unlucky and had a crash at the exact time you wanted to put it in drive. Did you attempt to put the car in drive even with the black screen? You should be able to put the car in drive and drive away (I believe) even with a black screen though I have not tried it.

Isn't this the same case of someone who was using Netflix and couldn't close it and had to reboot? Someone posted this and talked about a ferry line. Yes, Netflix/Youtube are sometimes a bit glitchy and slow. I would love for those applications to be better but in the meantime, I suggest not using them when in a situation like this that requires being able to drive within seconds.

Leaving the cell phone in the car will prevent it from locking. Using camping mode should leave most systems running, including AC, the screen etc.

Leaving the driver's door partially open (one click but not closed completely) will leave the car "running". I've done that at superchargers so I could continue to use the screen instead of having the "white charging screen".

In your case, even though the MCU was rebooting, maybe the car would have driven anyway... Did you try?

I'm sure I did that as a first step but panic mode presented almost immediately and I went to pressing & holding both steering wheel knobs to do the double reboot thing. This happens every so often in my garage where the car is in a deep deep sleep for no particular reason and it takes forever to wake it up. I can live with that but definitely do not want that to happen when the car needs to be in a READY/STANDBY state. Both my mac and pc have 3rd party utility prgs that effectively prevent the OS from sleeping ever, or during shorter periods of time. You would think TM would offer such esp since they are selling cars to police depts. Imagine a ModelS poised on a highway median when a car goes by at 90mph and the cop car DIES right then and there. There's gotta be a stupid way to keep car alive but I don't think the radio being ON is necessarily going to do it. But some peripheral function that grabs the OS in serious fashion should do the deed. Suggestions from knowledgeable system engineers welcome.
--

The speedo screen said CAR OFF and opening the driver door did not remove CAR OFF, I believe, but it often is enough to do so. Leaving the driver door open one click sounds like a good idea - thank you for that!! Camping mode is highly suspect for driving away and I might not even have it available. I will also keep my cell phone ON but is that due to my TeslaApp being always ON, which it is?
--

You can periodically tap the brake pedal to keep the car 'ON' and ready to go. I believe the timeout is 15 minutes before the car shuts off. I tap my brake pedal about every 10 minutes or so to keep it ON. Slightly annoying for the vehicles behind me to see my brake lights flash but better than blocking the ferry line should my car decide to reboot or not notice the key inside the car when its time to move.