Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep Apple Music via Bluetooth or Switch to Spotify?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an Apple Music account and download a lot of my music in the new lossless format. I'm currently listening to that via bluetooth. If I switched to Spotify to use the built in interface on my Model 3, how would the sound quality compare? I understand that the sound quality from my phone is not fully reproduced via bluetooth. I wonder if the bitrate of the transfer by bluetooth exceeds the bitrate for Spotify via the Tesla interface to the extent that one could hear a difference in a car.

I have an Apple Music account and download a lot of my music in the new lossless format. I'm currently listening to that via bluetooth. If I switched to Spotify to use the built in interface on my Model 3, how would the sound quality compare? I understand that the sound quality from my phone is not fully reproduced via bluetooth. I wonder if the bitrate of the transfer by bluetooth exceeds the bitrate for Spotify via the Tesla interface to the extent that one could hear a difference in a car.

Bluetooth from your phone will sound better than the in car streaming, even comparing spotify streamed bluetooth from your phone to spotify through the car interface.

I am not a "car audiophile" but am almost positive the bitrate through the car is lower than the bitrate streaming from your phone, as tesla limits it.

Whether you would hear a difference or not is up to your ears, but the bitrate is lower so dont sign up to spotify for that. Its a "its good enough and convenient" thing, certainly not "it sounds better" relating bluetooth streaming to streaming directly through the cars interface.

Bluetooth from your phone will sound better than the in car streaming, even comparing spotify streamed bluetooth from your phone to spotify through the car interface.

I am not a "car audiophile" but am almost positive the bitrate through the car is lower than the bitrate streaming from your phone, as tesla limits it.

Whether you would hear a difference or not is up to your ears, but the bitrate is lower so dont sign up to spotify for that. Its a "its good enough and convenient" thing, certainly not "it sounds better" relating bluetooth streaming to streaming directly through the cars interface.
Agree. I'd much prefer to use Spotify through native interface but it sounds meh. Bt isn't much better - but it is.

Its funny actually, because I care very little about car audio (or music in general), as it relates to sound quality, bit rate, etc. I am, however, a "home theater" enthusiast, so I care very very much about my in home audio as it relates to movie watching / video games... just not music.

I have a 7.6.2 dolby atmos home theater system (with the .6 atmos speakers being in ceiling speakers), and watching a movie at my house sounds better than all but the most high end theaters.... but when I listen to music itself at home I dont even bother with setting it up for 2 channel, and really dont care at all what music sounds like in my car.

I use spotify through the car interface because its convenient, and because I dont care that bluetooth streaming sounds better.

My friends dont understand how I could care so much about home audio, and so little about music audio unless it relates to "music inside of a movie" lmao.

I have Apple Music lossless albums downloaded on my phone which I stream via bluetooth and I've actually found that the vocals sound muddled and hard to decipher versus songs streamed via the built in "Streaming" radio stations.

The same songs when played via my AirPods Pro sound fantastic, but via bluetooth > Tesla it just sounds messy. I'm something just short of an audiophile, but I definitely notice the difference... it's to the point where I currently prefer to listen to the built in Streaming radio stations over my Apple Music library via bluetooth.

I can't wait for built in Apple Music support. That would be a nice Christmas present from Tesla.

@cammoman agree, bt audio Is muddy, but slightly better then in car Spotify. Such an annoyance choosing interface versus quality.
I haven't tried Spotify yet, bummer to hear that it's not higher quality. It would be great if Spotify and eventually Apple Music options had an ability to locally download / store high quality versions of playlists, albums, etc much the same as the native phone apps do. Perhaps they'd need to write the the USB storage stick.

Reactions: Jejunjm
I haven't tried Spotify yet, bummer to hear that it's not higher quality. It would be great if Spotify and eventually Apple Music options had an ability to locally download / store high quality versions of playlists, albums, etc much the same as the native phone apps do. Perhaps they'd need to write the the USB storage stick.
I'd have preferred Spotify over tidal (because I think that was a musk pat your buddy on the back decision) Tidal allows you to download: does anyone know where the files go?
I signed up for subscription fsd (because bored). 100+ miles and 99 score - will I get gas beta and downgraded?

I just signed up for three months of Tidal for $1 after it was added to the screen (22 S). It says many of the tracks are master quality level; does that quality (i.e. high bit rate) come through on the native Tidal ‘app’?