Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep BMW X7 or take delivery of 2022 X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had 2 Model X so far. Both Midnight Grey, one was a 6 seater with white interior, the later a 7 on black. Mid last year I put a deposit for the refresh X and got a bit tired of the changes on the delivery dates with no real ETA. Early this year I sold my 2020 X and special ordered a 2022 BMW X7 M50i. Built it exactly like I wanted, checked almost all the boxes and got it in less than 2 months.

Car is gorgeous inside and out and it has a bunch of features I didn't have in my Teslas. Engine is pretty powerful at 530 HP and with a $700 tune it bumps another 100 HP for 0-60 in 4 sec, from the official 4.5.

Got color correction, ppf ceramic coat, best tint and the aftermarket aero kit. Spent a few Gs on the process.

Life is good except for the trips to the gas station. 93 at 12-13 Mpg city sucks. Highway is "acceptable" at 21-22 for such a big vehicle.

This Sunday I got a text from Tesla that my refresh will be ready in 2 weeks. Almost the same vehicle. Midnight Grey, 7 seats, white interior. Now I'm thinking... Things I miss on my Tesla:

* not having a gas bill. I always felt like I was driving for free.
* auto pilot is much better on the Tesla. In city driving the BMW gets lost at intersections when there are no lines on the road.
* awesome "dashcams" with sentry mode.
* great sound quality with the built-in streaming like Sirius.
* self presenting/closing doors.
* yes, I did like the FWD too!
* huge windshield.

Things I like about the BMW:
* fit and finish are perfect.
* really looks like a luxury vehicle. I'm not too much into the simplistic (cost savings) approach from Tesla.
* way more space inside all the way to the 3rd row.
* cooled and massage seats.
* huge pano roof with mood lights and "stars".
* rear steering, makes the car feels smaller on turns.
* huge network in case I have a problem.
* laser "smart" headlights. I removed the limitation for US models, so it works 100% (anti-dazzle).
* Big HUD with lots of info including navigation.

Soooo... Considering I can buy a $122k (today's price) vehicle for $98k, seems a good deal. But I just bought one for $120k, spent $4k on stuff already mentioned. Not sure for how much and how quick I could sell the BMW if I decide to take the Tesla.

Another option is to sell my allocation, pocket some money and enjoy the BMW for a but, without having a 3rd car that will look almost the same as the previous ones.

Ideas? Suggestions?

It sounds like you are leaning a little more towards the BMW... Plus you already invested so much in getting it up your liking and accessorizing.... based on your recap I would stick with the X7. maybe take delivery of the Model X and sell it for a nice profit? As for gas, I don't think the increased prices should affect you as much if you can afford a tricked out X7 or a Model X.. Just weather the storm and wait for the impending recession.

You’re going to take a bath on selling the BMW but you’ll come out ahead on buying the Tesla.

That said, you’ll effectively wind up paying current MSRP on the Tesla (maybe slightly less). So don’t feel the pressure to jump on it.

Is your BMW telling you to get a Tesla? 😁
1654716255216.png

If you never had an MX before, I would've definitely recommended the Tesla. But you've had two before, and you're still hesitating, that tells me what you get from Tesla (things you can't get from gas cars) is not as important to you as luxury feel and creature comfort. So, keep X7 sounds like the better option.

For me though, I hate to go back to gas stations and do two-pedal driving so much, those are my never-again criteria. But that also means I wouldn't find myself facing this tough decision.

Reactions: Genie and Bigriver
Refresh feels more luxury than my 2018, so you can't totally compare luxury to what you already had. I also hate that those fossil engines put out stuff that lowers IQ in kids-- at least studies show this. But if that doesn't bother you I'd stick with the BMW. That X7 used to be my dream car.

Reactions: mangrove79
Refresh feels more luxury than my 2018, so you can't totally compare luxury to what you already had. I also hate that those fossil engines put out stuff that lowers IQ in kids-- at least studies show this. But if that doesn't bother you I'd stick with the BMW. That X7 used to be my dream car.
The interior of the MX Refresh is not on par with a 2022 BMW X7. It’s not even close.

While it is a step above the pre-refresh interior for sure, it’s just not in the same ballpark as BMW.

Had 2 Model X so far. Both Midnight Grey, one was a 6 seater with white interior, the later a 7 on black. Mid last year I put a deposit for the refresh X and got a bit tired of the changes on the delivery dates with no real ETA. Early this year I sold my 2020 X and special ordered a 2022 BMW X7 M50i. Built it exactly like I wanted, checked almost all the boxes and got it in less than 2 months.

Car is gorgeous inside and out and it has a bunch of features I didn't have in my Teslas. Engine is pretty powerful at 530 HP and with a $700 tune it bumps another 100 HP for 0-60 in 4 sec, from the official 4.5.

Got color correction, ppf ceramic coat, best tint and the aftermarket aero kit. Spent a few Gs on the process.

Life is good except for the trips to the gas station. 93 at 12-13 Mpg city sucks. Highway is "acceptable" at 21-22 for such a big vehicle.

This Sunday I got a text from Tesla that my refresh will be ready in 2 weeks. Almost the same vehicle. Midnight Grey, 7 seats, white interior. Now I'm thinking... Things I miss on my Tesla:

* not having a gas bill. I always felt like I was driving for free.
* auto pilot is much better on the Tesla. In city driving the BMW gets lost at intersections when there are no lines on the road.
* awesome "dashcams" with sentry mode.
* great sound quality with the built-in streaming like Sirius.
* self presenting/closing doors.
* yes, I did like the FWD too!
* huge windshield.

Things I like about the BMW:
* fit and finish are perfect.
* really looks like a luxury vehicle. I'm not too much into the simplistic (cost savings) approach from Tesla.
* way more space inside all the way to the 3rd row.
* cooled and massage seats.
* huge pano roof with mood lights and "stars".
* rear steering, makes the car feels smaller on turns.
* huge network in case I have a problem.
* laser "smart" headlights. I removed the limitation for US models, so it works 100% (anti-dazzle).
* Big HUD with lots of info including navigation.

Soooo... Considering I can buy a $122k (today's price) vehicle for $98k, seems a good deal. But I just bought one for $120k, spent $4k on stuff already mentioned. Not sure for how much and how quick I could sell the BMW if I decide to take the Tesla.

Another option is to sell my allocation, pocket some money and enjoy the BMW for a but, without having a 3rd car that will look almost the same as the previous ones.

Ideas? Suggestions?

This is tough, but I hate going to gas stations so would lean towards the X.
Critical factor is how much you can sell the BMW for…. It may do better than you think, which would make switching easier.

On a side note— how did you decide on 6 vs 7 seater for the X?

Hmmm I went through this a bit. I just traded my 2020 and moved to 2022 Plaid. But I also had a BMW iX M60 inbound. I decided to cancel my M60 order and take delivery of the Plaid.

With the price increases and continued supply constraints, I am walking into equity in the new Plaid. Lowering my exposure. Tesla also gave me 95k for my 2020 which I purchased for 98k in 2019.

The BMW iX has way more features and luxury. But having taken delivery today of my Plaid, I can say Tesla has come a long way. It’s much quieter than my 2020, the stereo has improved, and overall the car feels much tighter, and it’s noticeable. I didn’t think it would be.

I also wanted to commute electric. I am in Chicago, and the winters are harsh, driving a gas car would barely have the car warm before I arrived to the office. I love the simplicity of not having to worry about maintenance wear and tear and gas.

Now the big question is how much are you going to lose on the BMW. Yes you can likely make 10k on your Tesla if you want to sell it. But honestly I would focus more on being sure you have the car you want to drive. Sounds like that may be the BMW. I would have tesla give you a figure on trade for the BMW just so you know? Could you keep both?

The interior of the MX Refresh is not on par with a 2022 BMW X7. It’s not even close.

While it is a step above the pre-refresh interior for sure, it’s just not in the same ballpark as BMW.
Maybe not. But even a BMW gas car is not in the same ballpark as a much faster, smoother, cleaner, smarter electric engine, either. A gorgeous interior with a caveman-like engine with fumes billowing out its backside constantly, is not luxurious to me. Retro maybe-- its like going back in time. But to each his own.

Reactions: Genie
Maybe not. But even a BMW gas car is not in the same ballpark as a much faster, smoother, cleaner, smarter electric engine, either. A gorgeous interior with a caveman-like engine with fumes billowing out its backside constantly, is not luxurious to me. Retro maybe-- its like going back in time. But to each his own.
Caveman-like engine? Mmmkay.

It’s fine to not like gas powered vehicles, but that’s just hyperbole.

• Funny
Reactions: AMPd
If you really love the bmw and you can sell your current x7 with minimal to no loss then I would do that and take delivery of the x then put an order in for the 2023 model specced exactly like you currently have. Your model will be dated by the end of the year when the new split headlight design models start rolling out and it will depreciate the car even more. Plus you can drive the X with no gas costs in the mean time and when the new 23 model comes in, you can flip it for a profit to put toward the new x7

Interior on the MX is not even on par with my 2016 BMW X5M. Keep the BMW. That says alot from someone that has had every model Tesla except for the Roadster. I currently drive a MYP because its my personal vehicle and my wife drives the BMW. I sold my MX to get back into a MY. The Model X was a disappointment for something so expensive.
Just took delivery of MXP, my first Tesla. I am getting ready to sell my 2017 BMW X5M to manage auto expenses.

I agree with Thefourphans’ comment about bmw X5M’s interior finish being far superior to X. There really is no comparison on detail, fit & quality. BMW wins on this category single-handedly.

However, my experience can be described as the flip side of this coin. As a recovering BMW fanboy (drove six BMWs over the past ten+ years), I believed BMW offered perfect balance between quality, performance & cost/value… until recently. Yes, I’ve jumped on the Tesla bandwagon and even picked up a t-shirt to match.

Simply put, at least for me, MXP is the best car I’ve ever owned or driven. This machine is a super computer on wheels that can go, super fast! Plus I just glance at gas stations as I drive around in my Tesla as the memory of driving around in my 15 mpg X5M still fresh in my mind. Simply put, this car makes my X5M feel like a dinosaur.

So for those considering between a high end ICE car vs Tesla, ask yourself this:
Would I sacrifice luxury/comfort for technology & acceleration? If yes, get a Tesla. If no, stick to a nice ICE car. This decision was simple for me. :)