Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep cabin overheat protection on permanently

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty sure if the car is plugged in and HVAC comes on, the car does not use the battery at all(but obviously takes/wastes energy from the source). I'd like to see the basis for your statement.
We’ll I dunno for sure. Read these and come up with your own conclusion

Last edited:
Only in our first-world greenwashed fantasy land would anyone seriously entertain keeping an unoccupied vehicle air conditioned for weeks at a time.

What a fantastically stupid and wasteful desire.
That's not helpful of you to assume it would be running the air conditioning. The newer cars have that ventilation fan only setting, which does not use all that much energy. That would be appreciated if that were available.

That's not helpful of you to assume it would be running the air conditioning. The newer cars have that ventilation fan only setting, which does not use all that much energy. That would be appreciated if that were available.

It's also not bringing the temp up or down to 72 degrees. It's just keeping it from being lethal.

And how many people turn off their home aircon and water heater when they go on vacation? Those devices even have built in options for those occasions. We should be hitting the master breaker when we are away.

Reactions: Lephturn
I also am looking for a solution to this. Sorry if I offend any who live in Alaska but here in Florida the car gets excessively hot. I don't drive it every morning to auto reset the COP. Like just now I forgot to reset it and just checked and the temperature is 148°F. There is some glue dripping onto the floor from under the dash and seat back. Very sticky and hard to clean off the carpet and floor mats.

My normal solution is to just unlock the car from my watch app and then lock it up in the morning. So while I've been typing it is now down to 104.

I've tested the battery drain and it is not that bad. The AC or pet mode is not on a timer but that consumes much more even at the highest setting.

Some have suggested TeslaFi which I have so I'll see if I can find a way to automate it.

I also am looking for a solution to this. Sorry if I offend any who live in Alaska but here in Florida the car gets excessively hot. I don't drive it every morning to auto reset the COP. Like just now I forgot to reset it and just checked and the temperature is 148°F. There is some glue dripping onto the floor from under the dash and seat back. Very sticky and hard to clean off the carpet and floor mats.

My normal solution is to just unlock the car from my watch app and then lock it up in the morning. So while I've been typing it is now down to 104.

I've tested the battery drain and it is not that bad. The AC or pet mode is not on a timer but that consumes much more even at the highest setting.

Some have suggested TeslaFi which I have so I'll see if I can find a way to automate it.
How many kWh per day are we talking about? Just don't park your car in the sun!!

Only in our first-world greenwashed fantasy land would anyone seriously entertain keeping an unoccupied vehicle air conditioned for weeks at a time.

What a fantastically stupid and wasteful desire.
This isn't about keeping the car "air conditioned" down to a person-comfortable temperature, it's about utilizing the cars ability to keep itself from getting crazy-hot inside and causing damage (extensive interior heat will prematurely age interior components). The temperature that this seems to get enacted is about 100 degrees Fahrenheit, 40 degrees Celsius. Yes, it uses energy (and how much energy depends on factors such as whether the car is in direct sunlight and the outside temperature), but to me is a good investment to protect a vehicle I hope to have for several more years.

When I reset Cabin Overheat Protection in the morning the car never goes above 105° which is spec according to Tesla. At 105 the fans come on and circulate the outside air to cool it down to 100° when the outside air temperature is the same. On cooler days the fans shut off about 96° when the outside temp is in the high 80's. On an average day I lose about 1-2% battery when the COP is very active. However, Elon Musk has recommended keeping the cars plugged in when parked at home and setting the charge current low. I found 12A to be ideal. Also, this EVSE at 120v 12A doesn't run 24-7 either. Instead that comes on when the battery drops 5-6% SOC and then replenishes and then shuts off. The consumption data for model Y and S is very similar. We use the Tesla Wall charger at 27A for overnight charging as that car is used every day for about 140 miles. There is no way to plug that in during the day.

So all the chatter about wasting valuable electricity is just nonsense. More important for me to protect my investment from excessive heat damage even if I have to pay $1.30 a week for electricity for COP.

I didn't see an easy way in TeslaFi to set a timer on COP.

Reactions: Rocky_H

Hi,
There is no glue in the 3 or Y seat backs. The seat backs are held on by the headrests. Just pull the headrest up and the back of the seat falls off. Then you can clean whatever you got in there. There shouldn't be any glue. The seats are all foam, plastic clips, fabric. The whole seat comes apart fairly easily. I was looking at getting leather seats at one point.

You could construct something like this that won't run off the Tesla battery and MCU?

Screenshot 2022-08-18 075649.png

Wait, watch app? There is a tesla watch app for the car? Sorry, off topic.

When I reset Cabin Overheat Protection in the morning the car never goes above 105° which is spec according to Tesla. At 105 the fans come on and circulate the outside air to cool it down to 100° when the outside air temperature is the same. On cooler days the fans shut off about 96° when the outside temp is in the high 80's. On an average day I lose about 1-2% battery when the COP is very active. However, Elon Musk has recommended keeping the cars plugged in when parked at home and setting the charge current low. I found 12A to be ideal. Also, this EVSE at 120v 12A doesn't run 24-7 either. Instead that comes on when the battery drops 5-6% SOC and then replenishes and then shuts off. The consumption data for model Y and S is very similar. We use the Tesla Wall charger at 27A for overnight charging as that car is used every day for about 140 miles. There is no way to plug that in during the day.

So all the chatter about wasting valuable electricity is just nonsense. More important for me to protect my investment from excessive heat damage even if I have to pay $1.30 a week for electricity for COP.

I didn't see an easy way in TeslaFi to set a timer on COP.
Please post the link to your proof of excessive heat damage.

• Funny
Reactions: davewill
Environments don't get much more hostile than here in the Arizona desert. Cabin overheat protection uses around 15 kWh during a 10-hour work day. So I'd guess somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-25 kWh maximum power use for a full day's use. That's enough power to run an average home for an entire day in more hospitable climates.

One legitimate use I've found for COP is that it keeps the 12V outlet alive so that my in-car refrigerator (Dometic) will stay running while taking a road trip and parking for several hours, supercharging or staying overnight in a hotel.

• Informative
Reactions: Lephturn and VT_EE