Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep getting flats. Replacements for 20"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I've had my LR with Inductions for less than a year (bought new at the end of January) and in that time, I've had damage to all 4 tires:
  • Replaced the front driver's side about 3 weeks after owning it - screw in the sidewall
  • Repaired the front passenger's side about 4 months in - nail in the center tread
  • Replaced the rear driver's side last month - Guessing a nail or something, went to Costco and the car told me pressure was low as I was leaving and in less than 2 minutes, it was complete flat with a giant hole in the side tread
  • Found a giant piece of metal in the rear passenger's side two days ago. Went to Discount Tire and they removed it, thankfully with no piercing to the inside.
I have lived in this same area for over 30 years. Have owned 6 cars and never once had a flat tire with any of them. These tires seem to have a homing beacon for pieces of metal... Oncemore, when we took the car to Discount Tire today, the guy told us that the tires were all pretty low on tread and he suggested replacing the rear tires before we leave on our road trip at the end of the month. The tire were at:
  • Front Driver's: 7mm
  • Front Passengers: 6mm
  • Rear Driver's: 5mm
  • Rear Passengers: 5mm
He said people are lucky if they get 15K miles off these tires - we're at 13K... but they're rated for like 30K?? According to the specs, these tires come with a 8/32" (6.25mm). I never drive fast and have it on chill mode... Feel like this guy is crazy, but wanted to get your guy's opinions. We'll be driving ~800mi round trip, plus whatever while we're there.

As far as tires are concerned, I'd really like to buy something with a warranty since these things seem to pick up pieces of metal like they have a freaking magnet in them. Discount Tire carries the same tire, but if I have to replace both rear tires, I guess I could go with something different. Really don't want to replace with the same thing if they're going to wear as quickly as he said. Discount has certificates I can purchase to get the warranty for 3 years, though Costco gives you 5 years for free, which I was also considering, especially if I don't need the OEM tire. Would going to a difference size be better? Don't really want to change the wheel size, especially since I only have 2 weeks to get everything done.

Thoughts??

Hey guys,

I've had my LR with Inductions for less than a year (bought new at the end of January) and in that time, I've had damage to all 4 tires:
  • Replaced the front driver's side about 3 weeks after owning it - screw in the sidewall
  • Repaired the front passenger's side about 4 months in - nail in the center tread
  • Replaced the rear driver's side last month - Guessing a nail or something, went to Costco and the car told me pressure was low as I was leaving and in less than 2 minutes, it was complete flat with a giant hole in the side tread
  • Found a giant piece of metal in the rear passenger's side two days ago. Went to Discount Tire and they removed it, thankfully with no piercing to the inside.
I have lived in this same area for over 30 years. Have owned 6 cars and never once had a flat tire with any of them. These tires seem to have a homing beacon for pieces of metal... Oncemore, when we took the car to Discount Tire today, the guy told us that the tires were all pretty low on tread and he suggested replacing the rear tires before we leave on our road trip at the end of the month. The tire were at:
He said people are lucky if they get 15K miles off these tires - we're at 13K... but they're rated for like 30K?? According to the specs, these tires come with a 8/32" (6.25mm). I never drive fast and have it on chill mode... Feel like this guy is crazy, but wanted to get your guy's opinions. We'll be driving ~800mi round trip, plus whatever while we're there.

As far as tires are concerned, I'd really like to buy something with a warranty since these things seem to pick up pieces of metal like they have a freaking magnet in them. Discount Tire carries the same tire, but if I have to replace both rear tires, I guess I could go with something different. Really don't want to replace with the same thing if they're going to wear as quickly as he said. Discount has certificates I can purchase to get the warranty for 3 years, though Costco gives you 5 years for free, which I was also considering, especially if I don't need the OEM tire. Would going to a difference size be better? Don't really want to change the wheel size, especially since I only have 2 weeks to get everything done.

Thoughts??
Just a bad run of luck, just don't see how the tires could be at fault. Maybe new construction in your area or regular route? I got around 16K on my OEM Goodyears then switched to the MPS AS4's and love them - have around 11K on them now. Expect to take a bit of a range hit initially though that will improve a bit after 1-2K or so. Much better grip and ride IMO and also much better in rain and any snow you're likely to encounter.

Just a bad run of luck, just don't see how the tires could be at fault. Maybe new construction in your area or regular route? I got around 16K on my OEM Goodyears then switched to the MPS AS4's and love them - have around 11K on them now. Expect to take a bit of a range hit initially though that will improve a bit after 1-2K or so. Much better grip and ride IMO and also much better in rain and any snow you're likely to encounter.
There's construction around me, but less than there has been in the past several years. I'm always hyper aware of what I'm driving over because it's happened so many times. My last car had similarly spec'd tires and I was driving it through construction areas all the time.

I live in AZ so not much rain/snow where I'm at. How are the AS4s fairing after 11K?
Do you park your car in the street at night?
Nope, always in the garage.

Right, I'm in AZ too but those Goodyears didn't feel too comfortable in the rain and I take trips up in the mountains of AZ, UT and CO primarily so keep good AS tires on. Not certain where they stand on wear right now as I recently completed two long trips and haven't had them checked recently but had been wearing evenly and not excessively. Due to the weight and sometimes quick starts most tires will wear faster on Tesla's in general though of course YMMV :cool: .

Right, I'm in AZ too but those Goodyears didn't feel too comfortable in the rain and I take trips up in the mountains of AZ, UT and CO primarily so keep good AS tires on. Not certain where they stand on wear right now as I recently completed two long trips and haven't had them checked recently but had been wearing evenly and not excessively. Due to the weight and sometimes quick starts most tires will wear faster on Tesla's in general though of course YMMV :cool: .
Totally understand they'll wear quicker, just didn't expect this quick. I don't mind replacing if I really need them, but if they actually have 5mm left on the back tires after 13k miles, is it REALLY time to change them if we're driving to Anaheim in a few weeks? Most of all, I'm confused by his tread depth he quoted me, because according to the specs I found online, these tires come with 6.25mm on them... How do my front tires have 7mm?

FWIW, not sure how accurate it is, but my Tesla invoice from September 2nd, when we had the front passenger tire repaired, they wrote that all tires were at 7mm. When they just replaced the rear driver's on Nov 16th, they quoted 8mm in the fronts and 7mm in the back...

I can't see how we've worn the tires THAT much in a few weeks.

I just did the quarter test from Discount's own website and, according to it, the back tires have plenty of tread. If anything, maybe the fronts should be rotated to the back, as they do have a good bit more tread, but I don't know WTF that guy is talking about. He said the tires were "almost bald" and the tread is about twice as tall as the tread indicator bars...

Discount uses an electronic scanner they pass over the width of each tire to capture the tread depth. I'm not familiar with the tech but like any measuring device it will only be as accurate as it's calibration so possibly it wasn't reading accurately.

Reactions: MatrixClaw
So, got a gauge today. Front one that was just replaced has 8/32", the other has 7/32". Both back tires have 5/32". Should I just have the front tires rotated to the front, or would you guys recommend I actually do replace the tires?

From what I read from a different thread.

The camber on the rear is a bit aggressive such that the rears can get inner tire wear resulting in rears wearing faster than the front. Good if you're tracking the car, but for general steet use, expect shorter tire life.

A way to address it is to get rear adjustable camber arms since the stock camber arms is non-adjustable to reduce the negative camber to achieve better tire life.

Hey guys,

It seems a little strange that you replaced the rear driver's tire last month but it is at 5mm (unless it was rotated to the front).

The damage to the tires is not because of the tires. Sounds more like a lot of really bad luck maybe influenced by construction.

I had a flat 2 days after picking up our MYLR at 460 miles. Just an odd nail that I managed to find.

If you are really worried about constantly getting flats, drive over to Discount Tire, and buy the certificates for your tires on your car. It does not matter that you did not get the tires there... My certs were $30 for each tire. This way, regardless what happens to your tire, if they can't patch it, they'll replace it for free. Saved me on my other car, when a giant pothole hidden in the shade took out two tires on my other car. I thought that car was a magnet... A few years ago, I managed to individually have all 4 tires replaced at some point during the year.

Hey guys,

Thoughts??
Sorry i am completely new to this forum thing. I was actually on this website researching if anyone has has similar problems with their tires. I can totally relate to your post. I have gone thru 6 tires in the past 10 months. My Plaid S tires pick up anything I drive over in the road. I have been stranded on the side of the freeway for hours twice of flat tires and crappy Tesla road side service. Have you spoke with anyone that recommends a proper solution to this. I am ready to get rid of the car if I can’t find a way to stop this situation from happening.