Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep it plugged in while I'm away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the manual says to leave it plugged in if you can
Yep

1646567122140.png

Why? What does that accomplish?
Exactly. Plug it in, set it to 80 or 90%. There is no power usage except to keep the battery in perfect shape. Even if it does perhaps use a few electrons, what's that compared to several thousand dollars for a new battery?

I would imagine that the car won't crump if it's not plugged in, but it's healthy for it. If it's cost of electricity that's worrying you, I can't imagine it will be more than ten bucks.

Reactions: SWIPE
The OP stated they were only leaving the Tesla for a couple of days. This scenario is no different than parking at the airport where chances are you would not be able to plug in. Since the Tesla will be left at home there is no reason not to leave the Tesla plugged in as usual. The caveat about only charging to 50% makes sense if leaving the Tesla vehicle parked for an extended period, i.e. weeks. For a few days there is no reason to change the usual charging limit.

The Telsa manual ask you to plug in because Tesla wants to cover its phantom drain issue. keeping it plugged without charging make no sense to me.
Phantom drain would imply "unknown" drain issues... there are very good reasons why the main battery SOC depletes with seemingly "no use"... a lot of components on board to power, keeping up the 12V, sentry, hvac if enabled, etc, etc. etc.

The Telsa manual ask you to plug in because Tesla wants to cover its phantom drain issue. keeping it plugged without charging make no sense to me.

Your mentality seems to be stuck in the ICE world.

You plug in the car so it can charge when it needs to, and you can always have a “full tank” at the ready. It lets you precondition from your home’s power source without impacting range. It gives you the option to change your set limit and start charging from the app whenever you need to, from anywhere in the world. It protects against worst-case issues where the car unexpectedly drains the battery due to not shutting down properly, you are delayed in returning home for some reason, etc etc.

If you have convenient access to home charging, there’s no reason at all to NOT do what the manual says and keep the car plugged in and fully charged to your limit.

Tesla made the recommendation about keeping the Tesla vehicle plugged in 10 years ago when the Model S vehicle was introduced. This predates Sentry mode, FSD Summon standby and Cabin Overheat Protection by quite a few years. If there were phantom drain issues with Model S, other Tesla vehicles hopefully these phantom drain issues have been corrected.

Bottom line, if the Tesla Model Y vehicle is allowed to shut down, enter sleep mode then power consumption is minimal, i.e. 25W. There are many examples of Tesla Model Y vehicles being parked unplugged for extended periods with Sentry mode turned off where the battery drain was 1% to 2% per week.

Reactions: Tezlowski