Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep it plugged in ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Always plug in, always leave plugged in. If you don’t regularly deplete, it will help battery longevity marginally to charge to lower %. LI batteries are “happiest” around 50%, and don’t like extremes (>90, <10). But don’t be anal. Tesla’s battery management system is very smart, and car Is designed to be plug and forget. I don’t drive a lot of miles, so generally keep it at 70 or 80% unless I k ow there’s a long drive next day. But 90 is fine.

If it is going to be idle for a few days, and it isn’t cold, and you don’t have Sentry or Summon Standby activated, it will be fine left unplugged. I would definitely unplug it if thunderstorms were approaching.

The car will stop whenever it reaches the limit you have set, so there is no reason/need for you to go unplug it.
Unless you have scheduled departure set...I just learned that the hard way....cars were set to charge to 50% while sitting in the garage all week...after 5 days, they were at 85+%! There is a bug where it trickle charges if left plugged in with scheduled departure. Turned that feature off and then all ok.

Unless you have scheduled departure set...I just learned that the hard way....cars were set to charge to 50% while sitting in the garage all week...after 5 days, they were at 85+%! There is a bug where it trickle charges if left plugged in with scheduled departure. Turned that feature off and then all ok.
Oh yeah, that has been noticed in a couple of threads, and I forgot to mention that. That is just a pathetic bug that was introduced in that scheduled departure function that they need to get fixed.

There is one other case where it will ignore and go past your limit, but it makes a little bit of sense and wouldn't apply to the car just sitting parked at home. If you have your limit set kind of low, like 60%, but you are traveling on a trip and have a big Navigation route set. When you plug in, if the Navigation detects that you will need to charge more than that limit to have enough for the next section of travel to the next Supercharger, then it will go over the limit you have set to give you enough charge to continue the next leg of the trip. But that is fairly sensible and obviously on purpose.