Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

keep mobile connector plugged in? or unplug after use

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still waiting for my Model 3 LR but I pretty much bought all accessories I can think of. I also got Nema 14-50 outlet installed and just received the adapter that I ordered. To those who use the Gen2 mobile connector at home, do you leave the connector plugged in all the time or do you unplug it after every use?

Solution
Regardless of whether it is gen 1 or gen 2, some people leave it plugged in all the time. Some (like me) don't. Just a personal preference for me. The manual suggests just keeping it plugged in and charged to a "not high end" rate.

Keep it plugged in all the time. Generally NEMA 14-50 outlets are not designed for frequent plug insertion and can wear out (too loose to properly hold plug) after as little as 100 insertions (especially cheaper outlets).

There is a good chance there is two different things being discussed here in this thread, both under the question of "do you leave IT plugged in or not"
=====================
Thing 1:

Do you leave the plug from the mobile connector in the wall, or do you...
Regardless of whether it is gen 1 or gen 2, some people leave it plugged in all the time. Some (like me) don't. Just a personal preference for me. The manual suggests just keeping it plugged in and charged to a "not high end" rate.

Keep it plugged in all the time. Generally NEMA 14-50 outlets are not designed for frequent plug insertion and can wear out (too loose to properly hold plug) after as little as 100 insertions (especially cheaper outlets).

There is a good chance there is two different things being discussed here in this thread, both under the question of "do you leave IT plugged in or not"
=====================
Thing 1:

Do you leave the plug from the mobile connector in the wall, or do you unplug the plug from the wall each time you finish charging the car, or take the mobile connector with you all the time when you leave home?
=====================
Thing 2:

Do you plug the mobile connector into the car all the time to charge it, each time you get home?
====================

For "thing 1" (leaving the mobile connector plugged into the 14-50 socket at home, or unplugging it / taking it with you all the time). Most people will say, the answer to this one is, leave that plugged in unless you need to take the adapter with you on a trip or something. Plugging and unplugging sockets can eventually wear them out, and how fast this happens depends on what type / brand of 14-50 outlet you bought. More expensive ones last longer.

Big box store ones are generally made to be plugged in and left there (like a wall oven, or a dryer or something), so minimize unplugging the connector from the socket unless you need to take it with you.

For "Thing 2" (plug in and charge the car every time it hits your garage, or not?) Opinion on that is decidedly mixxed. The tesla manual says to plug in the car when you are not using it, but most long timers feel that is simply to minimize the chance "you might forget, then not have enough charge" to do what you need to do.

Thats a personal choice, however there is no real need to "run the car down, then charge it back up". You can plug the car in to charge it, or not, as your personal preference.

Hope that covers both of the things being discussed here in this thread, as I am not quite sure which one the OP asked, but am fairly convinced advice was being given from both "thing 1" and "thing 2" point of views.

Upvote 2
Solution
=====================
Thing 1:

Do you leave the plug from the mobile connector in the wall, or do you unplug the plug from the wall each time you finish charging the car, or take the mobile connector with you all the time when you leave home?
=====================
Thing 2:

Do you plug the mobile connector into the car all the time to charge it, each time you get home?
====================

For "thing 1" (leaving the mobile connector plugged into the 14-50 socket at home, or unplugging it / taking it with you all the time). Most people will say, the answer to this one is, leave that plugged in unless you need to take the adapter with you on a trip or something. Plugging and unplugging sockets can eventually wear them out, and how fast this happens depends on what type / brand of 14-50 outlet you bought. More expensive ones last longer.

Big box store ones are generally made to be plugged in and left there (like a wall oven, or a dryer or something), so minimize unplugging the connector from the socket unless you need to take it with you.

For "Thing 2" (plug in and charge the car every time it hits your garage, or not?) Opinion on that is decidedly mixxed. The tesla manual says to plug in the car when you are not using it, but most long timers feel that is simply to minimize the chance "you might forget, then not have enough charge" to do what you need to do.

Thats a personal choice, however there is no real need to "run the car down, then charge it back up". You can plug the car in to charge it, or not, as your personal preference.

Hope that covers both of the things being discussed here in this thread, as I am not quite sure which one the OP asked, but am fairly convinced advice was being given from both "thing 1" and "thing 2" point of views.
Thank you! and thanks to everyone as well.
My original question pertains to the connector being plugged into the wall socket but reading back my original post I clearly did not clarify that. But your answer clears it up on either queries so thank you!

Reactions: BMWM3Man
Upvote 0
Plugged in, and switched off until needed for charging, via a two pole industrial switch.

Attachments

• 5EDB982A-90AF-43DC-BD6E-22DD7AA338E1.jpeg
    5EDB982A-90AF-43DC-BD6E-22DD7AA338E1.jpeg
    435.7 KB · Views: 1,479
Reactions: AprilMay
Upvote 0
=====================
Thing 1:

=====================
Thing 2:

====================

Should I leave the 14-50 Gen2 adapter plugged into my 14-50 weather proof enclosure outside to eliminate wear on the receptacle contacts?
Should I devise a way to protect the adapter end using a plastic bag, etc in rain weather?
A straight answer please. Thanks

Upvote 0
Should I leave the 14-50 Gen2 adapter plugged into my 14-50 weather proof enclosure outside to eliminate wear on the receptacle contacts?
Should I devise a way to protect the adapter end using a plastic bag, etc in rain weather?
No. I see people suggest that, and it's really weird. They are suggesting putting a lot more wear and tear by plugging and unplugging repeatedly on the $275 high tech piece of equipment to wear it out sooner, rather than doing the same to a $50 to $75 piece of equipment. That makes no sense. You would be better off just replacing that outlet every 3 or 4 years if it's getting worn, rather than going through $275 mobile cables.

Upvote 0
Is this outlet in a truly weatherproof enclosure or not? If it is, and you're not worried about theft, leave the charger plugged in.

If by "weatherproof enclosure" you mean just the typical metal outlet box with a door that rests open while anything is plugged in...I wouldn't use that for daily charging outdoors. Better to hardwire a Tesla Wall Connector or other fixed installation charger (J1772). If you're really set on the outdoor NEMA outlet, build/buy a larger enclosure to protect it thoroughly from weather even when it's in use.

You shouldn't unplug/replug a NEMA 14-50 charger plug daily. Inside or outside doesn't matter, that is asking for premature wear as many have stated. Sure, you could plan for regular outlet replacements, but why add that hassle on top of all the extra unplugging+replugging? I would really suggest putting in a hardwired charger instead. If you look around at L2/J1772 charger documentation they're very consistent about strongly advising or requiring hardwiring for outdoor installations, even for chargers that can be ordered with a NEMA plug.

I say this as someone whose home setup for many years has been a Gen1 mobile connector in a NEMA 14-50. My setup is in a garage though, and yes I leave the mobile connector plugged into the outlet 24/7. I wouldn't use this setup outside.

Upvote 0
No. I see people suggest that, and it's really weird. They are suggesting putting a lot more wear and tear by plugging and unplugging repeatedly on the $275 high tech piece of equipment to wear it out sooner, rather than doing the same to a $50 to $75 piece of equipment. That makes no sense. You would be better off just replacing that outlet every 3 or 4 years if it's getting worn, rather than going through $275 mobile cables.
But what is the point of unplugging and replugging the same charger every day? Why even bother with that extra wear and tear and hassle?

Reactions: BMWM3Man
Upvote 0
Is this outlet in a truly weatherproof enclosure or not? If it is, and you're not worried about theft, leave the charger plugged in.

If by "weatherproof enclosure" you mean just the typical metal outlet box with a door that rests open while anything is plugged in...I wouldn't use that for daily charging outdoors. Better to hardwire a Tesla Wall Connector or other fixed installation charger (J1772). If you're really set on the outdoor NEMA outlet, build/buy a larger enclosure to protect it thoroughly from weather even when it's in use.

You shouldn't unplug/replug a NEMA 14-50 charger plug daily. Inside or outside doesn't matter, that is asking for premature wear as many have stated. Sure, you could plan for regular outlet replacements, but why add that hassle on top of all the extra unplugging+replugging? I would really suggest putting in a hardwired charger instead. If you look around at L2/J1772 charger documentation they're very consistent about strongly advising or requiring hardwiring for outdoor installations, even for chargers that can be ordered with a NEMA plug.

I say this as someone whose home setup for many years has been a Gen1 mobile connector in a NEMA 14-50. My setup is in a garage though, and yes I leave the mobile connector plugged into the outlet 24/7. I wouldn't use this setup outside.
Re-reading this...sorry for sounding so preachy!

If I had to bet, I would bet you're unlikely actually have issues using the NEMA outlet outside daily. But there is added risk vs indoors or hardwire, and it's worth minimizing that risk.

I just went through a similar same decision for a rural property in the family. I felt like the flexibility of a 14-50 could be useful. But after enough reading, I became convinced to go hardwired.

Plus these days the Tesla wall connector is very cheap, it's actually cheaper than buying an extra mobile charger + 14-50 outlet. Also cheaper than any reputable equivalent J1772 charger from what I've seen. (When my S was new the Tesla wall connector was very pricey - approaching $1500 if I recall correctly - so many of us went the 14-50 + extra mobile charger route just to save money, even though we didn't have a 14-50 already. But again, indoors vs outdoors...)

Upvote 0
But what is the point of unplugging and replugging the same charger every day?
Huh? I never suggested that.
Why even bother with that extra wear and tear and hassle?
Well, no, you shouldn't. I don't get why you are asking me that. I never suggested anything like that. I leave my mobile cable plugged into the 14-50 outlet all year long and only unplug it to take it with me maybe once or twice a year.

I see that maybe I misunderstood what @Murray Michael was asking, because I have seen this asked/suggested a lot before. People see this warning about not unplugging from the outlet a lot, and so they say, "Oh, then I will leave just the ADAPTER plugged into the outlet all the time, and simply unplug the adapter from the body of the mobile charging cable every single day." That's what I thought he was asking, and that just doesn't make sense to take that same amount of daily wear and move it to the more expensive piece of equipment. It sounded like the context was that it couldn't be left plugged in all the time for some reason.

If you're talking about leaving the whole thing plugged in all the time and not unplugging anything? Then yes, I wholeheartedly recommend that. Sorry if I didn't parse the original question well.

Reactions: davewill and tm1v2
Upvote 0
Huh? I never suggested that.

Well, no, you shouldn't. I don't get why you are asking me that. I never suggested anything like that. I leave my mobile cable plugged into the 14-50 outlet all year long and only unplug it to take it with me maybe once or twice a year.

I see that maybe I misunderstood what @Murray Michael was asking, because I have seen this asked/suggested a lot before. People see this warning about not unplugging from the outlet a lot, and so they say, "Oh, then I will leave just the ADAPTER plugged into the outlet all the time, and simply unplug the adapter from the body of the mobile charging cable every single day." That's what I thought he was asking, and that just doesn't make sense to take that same amount of daily wear and move it to the more expensive piece of equipment. It sounded like the context was that it couldn't be left plugged in all the time for some reason.

If you're talking about leaving the whole thing plugged in all the time and not unplugging anything? Then yes, I wholeheartedly recommend that. Sorry if I didn't parse the original question well.
Ah, gotcha, we're actually in total agreement then! :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies to my question..it remains somewhat unanswered for this 82 yr old..my question is this..”With a weatherproof 14-50 receptacle box outside, if I leave my Gen2 adapter ($45) plugged into 14-50 receptacle, (Gen2 adapter will not be connected to my Mobile cable that came with car), will Gen2 adapter be ok in rain weather?

Upvote 0
Still waiting for my Model 3 LR but I pretty much bought all accessories I can think of. I also got Nema 14-50 outlet installed and just received the adapter that I ordered. To those who use the Gen2 mobile connector at home, do you leave the connector plugged in all the time or do you unplug it after every use?
Tesla says a happy tesla is a plugged in Tesla. FWIW, I have an energy monitor installed in my electric panel. My mobile connector is always plugged into a Nema 14-50 outlet. It’s lights are always on. M3P plugged in, or not, this circuit only draws current when charging.

Upvote 0