Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep phantom drain under control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know others have already said not to try TeslaFi, but I use it and it is very easy to see when the car idles vs sleeps. You can even just use the 2 week free trial to see whats going on.
Or 4 week trial with referral code. DM me for code.

But I’d be concerned it would keep the car awake for longer. Maybe worth a try. I use it on our two teslas. It was one of the firsts, and I started using at the beginning.

Reactions: Originalando
The two weeks trial is tempting though... and holds so much promise! I'll sleep on it (since the car possibly isn't) and maybe give it a try tomorrow. Do you have a long experience with it? Any reason why you chose TeslaFi over other players?

I bought my car in July and have been using TeslaFi since about a week after taking delivery. I tried a couple of the other apps as well but I'm on the nerdy side and like all the raw data that can be accessed. I was also concerned about this preventing a normal sleep schedule, but I have never had an issue with the car staying awake. There are some interanl TeslaFi settings that can be changed if the car doesn't sleep as expected, but I have not touched any of those.

From my understanding, its fairly easy and straightforward to unlink the car from TeslaFi.

Hi guys. I noticed similar problem that started ~2 months ago - our car sits on the parking, usually unplugged until baterry drops to some lower level, which in our case means maybe every 3 or 4 days. And I'd see that overnight state of charge would drop by anything between few % and up to 10%. Some nights it would not drop at all, or very minimally.

When I look at the Park screen, I see somthing like this, 0.8% screen time, 7.7% preconditioning, 0.4% centry, 7.4% mobile app and 9.1% vehicle stand by (I have a LR M3, 2021). I do not access the car with mobila app at all. So, in the the Park state Tesla spent ~25% of battery energy since previous charge. The batterry was charged at 90%, and this data is taken few days later, with baterry level at 15%.

I tried changing password on my account, no change. The only 3rd party app I ever used was the Tesla Fi, but only first month while it was free. I do not recall ever installing any other 3rd party app.

So, I contacted Tesla, and they schedule phone call. The very pleasant rep told me that everything is fine on my car, but that there is some third party app accessing the car, most likely. But - he cannot tell me which it is. He said that they have no way of finding out who is accessing the car. I told him about the Tesla Fi, and the guy told me, literaly, that Tesla Fi is horrible and that they have lot of complaints about them last few months. He adviced me to send email to Tesla Fi, and request that they stop the access. If it is them. And if they don't, to contact the Tesla service again.

I know that this story sounds odd, the Tesla guy was really nice, and sounded like he is well aware of this problem. He told me that after I email Tesla Fi, if mobila app access and the drain does not stop, then they will contact Tesla Fi, and there will be some legal consequences, and the problem will be somehow resolved. He assured me that this is new problem, that they are aware of it, and they are working on it. He also warned me that installing 3rd party software and solving problems that came with it is not covered by warranty, and there will be charge to me to have this resolved.

As adviced, I contacted Tesla Fi, and requested that they stop accessing my car, if it is them. The Tesla Fi support replied right away, telling me that they are not accessing my car if I don't have subscription.

I am not sure what is going on, and what exactly to do. I am surprised that password change did not revoke the access tokens, as it should, I suppose. The Tesla rep said that they noticed that some of the 3rd party apps are apparently doing very shady things, and they (Tesla) have no idea how they access the car, what data they pull off of it, etc.

Anyway, if anyone has some idea what to do, I am all ears. I was pretty happy with my car, I still am, but this battery drain is driving me nuts.

Last edited:
The Tesla app is ALSO accessing the car, not just 3rd-party apps. A few times I've had some anomalous Mobile App and Vehicle Standby usage. That is, it'll happen one day and the next day, it'll use 0% energy. I figure it's a new bit of software, so it may still be working thru the quirks.

The Tesla app is ALSO accessing the car, not just 3rd-party apps. A few times I've had some anomalous Mobile App and Vehicle Standby usage. That is, it'll happen one day and the next day, it'll use 0% energy. I figure it's a new bit of software, so it may still be working thru the quirks.
Thanks, Ken. The Tesla tech said that Tesla mobila app access the car minimaly, and is not responsible for such a large drain.

I spoke to Tesla Fi, and they say they have no access to my car, moreover, they swear that once I changed the password on Tesla account, the tokens got revoked. So, I exhausted the 3rd party app option that is keeping the car in the stand by mode.

I asked another Tesla tech that is coming to fix something unrelated on the car, and he confimed that they have no way of knowing which app is accessing the car if is is not Tesla app. They offer to uninstall any 3rd party app, not sure from where, I as I have no such apps on any of my devices. I removed Tesla Fi long time ago from my phone, and that was the only one I had.

Looks like I am little bit stuck here. I should probably put a sticker on the cabin camera... :)

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Check back tomorrow after one more day of "cold soak" and the 2021 M3P might have a blue snowflake.
A couple more days went by, I even went for a short 5 miles drive with the 2020 in the meantime. The 2021 did not move an inch since it was parked last week. We've now got 6C/43F outside. Both cars read the temperature correctly and both still have the interior at 7C/45F due to the warmth of the day now fading. The 2020 has the snowflake, the 2021 does not. Same spot, one behind the other. What?

A couple more days went by, I even went for a short 5 miles drive with the 2020 in the meantime. The 2021 did not move an inch since it was parked last week. We've now got 6C/43F outside. Both cars read the temperature correctly and both still have the interior at 7C/45F due to the warmth of the day now fading. The 2020 has the snowflake, the 2021 does not. Same spot, one behind the other. What?
Same software version?

If you have SMT, ScanMyTesla, you could find out the actual temp of the cells in the battery pack and see if there's a difference. Obviously, the ambient and cabin temps are proxies, but I've found that the pack tends to warm up very slowly compared to both. It's a big heatsink, that has cold soaked overnight, and while the cabin can heat up in a jiffy because it's a little greenhouse, the pack, even with the ambient rising, tends to warm up very slowly.

Later software versions on the 2021 P has been bugged about the snoflake.

Last year it came of slightly below 6.5-7C which was the precondition target for planned departure.

I tried to se where it comes on a few weeks ago, I have scan my tesla data on a screen behind (actually in front of) the steering wheel and can se the cell temp while driving.

I found it so warying that I can not draw a conclusion when it is on or of.
There is no fixed temp for this and ehen driving it does what the turn signal do, sometimes.
Yesterday I left the neighbour city with the battery temp at -1.25C, no snowflake. (Usually preheat but didnt know when to leave so I could not plan ahead)

Just updated, I got a new firmware so hopefully they fixed that bug (and inplemented ten new?).

Reactions: cappo3
So, I left my car at Tesla center, and explained their service guy what problem I see, showed him the pictures of the energy loss during the parking, and he kind of had prepared answer - it is normal that car spends some energy while parked to precondition it for the drive. I showed him again the numbers, yes, there is 7.7% drain on preconditioning during park time, 0.4% century, but the rest of 25+% is vehicle being in stand by and mobile app accessing the car. I think he got little bit anoyed with me and asked me, I guote: "Ok, what do you want us to do?". I didn't know what to say, so I repeated the same, I have not seen this before, I have car for nearl;y 2 years, so one full winter and I have not seen this before, until about 2 months ago (it wasn't even that cold outside here). The serviceman went to their clerk that takes our information, and told him to schedule batery health check. I don't want to badmouth the guy, but it sounded like he actualy had no idea what the problem is, but wants to be nice to customer, which I appreciate, of course. Then gave me a speach that thet will be analyze everything, compare to results from entire fleet, and so on... and send me the results.

I didn't want to be too anoying to tell them that this does not seem like a baterry problem, but rather something in the car software, or the tesla app, that does not let car to stay in sleep mode.

Maybe they don't know really what the problem is, and they have to deal with customer complaints. I am not sure. The day passed, car is at the service since morning, I just heard it has to stay over night, as they need one more day to fix it. They did not tell me what is it that they are fixing.

• Informative
Reactions: BitJam and KenC
Btw, with this drain, my driving range dropped down to less ~180 estimated miles for 90% baterry charge. In the last few charges, it is still in the ~200miles. I know it is ok to get some drop due to cold weather, but this seems quite a lot. Last winter, and in the middle of it, I was seeing typically ~270-280 miles for the same charge, and same use (which is about ~30 miles daily commute and chores).

I tend to leave the car at different percentages in order to optimise the calibration of the BMS. I read somewhere that helps...
Sentry is always off, I never use it. I also never open the app.

This loss of charge happens on a regular basis, every autumn and winter it is the same. My other car does not do it in the very same circumstances.

Last night, same story. Stopped charging around 23:30 at 60%, 9 hours later at -2/0C (28/32F) it's down to 54%. The energy app attributes it all to "standby" with the recommendation to keep the car plugged in.

Any ideas for a practical approach to the issue?

EDIT: If you get the snowflake icon, is the unavailable part of the battery subtracted from the percentage? Around what temperatures do you get said snowflake? And from which temperatures are you used to see a full regen bar?
Just saw this thread, other than Sentry Mode, Cabin overheat mode also keeps car wake (although only for 12 hours after parked), as does Summon Standby (can disable under Controls > Autopilot > Standby Mode).
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Note that you may need to check in every profile (including Easy Entry) to make sure it's not enabled in one of them.

Other than third party apps that may keep the car awake, another possible cause is the 12V battery is going bad (requiring the car to wake up more frequently to recharge it).

@teslin_zemljak if I were you I'd uninstall Teslafi and any other 3rd party app and start from a clean slate. You've already seen the a list of things to check, but just to make sure, make a list of possible phantom drains and see if you check all the boxes.

1. No 3rd party apps
2. Don't access the car with the phone
3. Turn off sentry mode
4. Turn off summon mode
5. Turn off overheat protection
6. Park the car somewhere not too cold if possible
... add to the list if you can think of any or see any other suggestion

I can tell you from experience that my SR+ can sit for a whole week and only lose like 1 or 2% unplugged. If you've got a 7% drain a day, it's obviously not right.

So, after getting the software update with the new Energy screen back in late October, whenever I get odd results, I try to take a screenshot.
Oct 29th:
IMG_6241.jpeg

Okay, 6.4%! Yikes, I had accidentally turned on Sentry mode at home, but interestingly, no other energy use.

Two days later, Oct 31, everything's optimal, but Standby is 3.9%!! My car is always plugged in.
IMG_6255.jpeg

Eventually, I decide that Standby are phantom losses that the car is topping up. The car loses 2%, the car tops up, then it loses 2% more, it tops up again, that sort of thing, so I stop stressing about it, though, usually the standby loss is 1.3% or less, except for 2 other times when I get 4.0% and 3.2%?!?

Nov 21, 4.2% due to app usage! Okay, so I log out of all my 3rd-party apps, Stats and Watch for Tesla, even though both state that they only access the car when the car's mobile app accesses the car, as iOS bundles requests together. Note, the Tip states Mobile App, that's Tesla's own app that could be doing this.
IMG_6417.jpeg

Dec 10, 5.1%, mostly Mobile app, which now is all Tesla's Mobile App. I'm thinking when I swipe to the right, to access widgets, my Tesla Mobile app widget must update, so I'm thinking I'll remove the Tesla widget.
IMG_6538.jpeg

Dec 15, a week ago. 10.4%!!! What? Okay, I was going skiing, so I accessed the car to pre-condition, 0.9%; but an additional 5.3% for Mobile App?
IMG_6572.jpeg

I'll keep testing. I think Vehicle Standby losses are just normal phantom drain losses due to cold ambient temps, and the car has to charge up to keep the car at the pre-set SOC. The Mobile App access, I need to keep testing by not using the Tesla app, until I figure this out. Maybe, I should log out, and re-install the app.

Attachments

• IMG_6542.jpeg
    IMG_6542.jpeg
    449.7 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: InfinitySky
Just saw this thread, other than Sentry Mode, Cabin overheat mode also keeps car wake (although only for 12 hours after parked), as does Summon Standby (can disable under Controls > Autopilot > Standby Mode).

Note that you may need to check in every profile (including Easy Entry) to make sure it's not enabled in one of them.

Other than third party apps that may keep the car awake, another possible cause is the 12V battery is going bad (requiring the car to wake up more frequently to recharge it).
Thank you for participating in the discussion!
I do not have the Summon functionality on my car, since I did not get the FSD package.
I thought about the 12v battery, but I never had any warnings and the car had this standby consumption since it was new. I hope it wasn't delivered with a defective 12v battery!

Somehow interestingly, I now have both the 2020 and the 2021 M3P parked at the same spot outside, next to each other. They've been stationary since Monday (the 2020) and Tuesday (the 2021). It's 43F/6C outside at the moment. The 2020 has a snowflake in the app, the 2021 does not. How comes?
The batteries changed around Dec 2020 and Jan 2021. Cell chemistry is different and the capacity jumped a few kWh.

I tend to leave the car at different percentages in order to optimise the calibration of the BMS. I read somewhere that helps...
Sentry is always off, I never use it. I also never open the app.

This loss of charge happens on a regular basis, every autumn and winter it is the same. My other car does not do it in the very same circumstances.

Last night, same story. Stopped charging around 23:30 at 60%, 9 hours later at -2/0C (28/32F) it's down to 54%. The energy app attributes it all to "standby" with the recommendation to keep the car plugged in.

Any ideas for a practical approach to the issue?

EDIT: If you get the snowflake icon, is the unavailable part of the battery subtracted from the percentage? Around what temperatures do you get said snowflake? And from which temperatures are you used to see a full regen bar?
I suggest putting in a service ticket referencing the 6% loss due to "standby". Ask them to look at the logs and figure out why it is losing so much in "standby" while it's supposed to be sleeping. They should be able to figure out what process is actually causing the drain.

Reactions: XPsionic