TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Keep tesla 3 in garage with high and cold weather

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by matt4EV, May 15, 2019.

1. matt4EV

matt4EV Member

I live in the northeast and my garage can be really hot in the summer (> 90F) and cold in the winter (20-32 F normally). How would this affect the battery to Tesla 3? If it harm it, what can I do to help keep the car in good condition without remodel my garage? My garage is neither insulated nor climate controlled.

What if I leave the car in the garage for 2-3 months? Should I keep in plugged or not? Will there be any issue?

2. DirtyT3sla

DirtyT3sla Member

Keep it plugged in as much as possible, and set the charge limit to 70% if being unused for long amounts of time (over 2 weeks at a time). 90F isn't really a big deal for the batteries. Neither is the 20F, since outside would be worse. The car should be fine.

• Like x 1
  3. derotam

derotam Member

That is not really hot or cold really.

There is nothing you need to do, you can just follow the "a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla" mantra.

• Like x 1
  4. matt4EV

matt4EV Member

Thank you DirtyT3sla and drotram.

5. ngogas

ngogas Active Member

I'm curious, why 70%? Is this a number you pulled out of the air or something related to a parked tesla?

• Love x 1
  6. M3BlueGeorgia

M3BlueGeorgia Member

If you park it when 80% to 90% charged, plug it in and set the charge limit to 70%, its unlikely the car will actually need to charge the batteries if you leave if for a few weeks. Any power it needs to temperature-protect the batteries or to check for updates will come from the house's power.

That would be my take on the "70% theory", but yes 70% is arbitrary and just happens to be the midpoint between 50% and 90%.

7. M109Rider

M109Rider Member

Anytime you aren’t driving it for months at a time, I would recommend setting the charge limit to 50%
    When ready to use it, bump it up.
    Otherwise 70% to 90% is fine.

8. DirtyT3sla

DirtyT3sla Member

I mostly just pulled it out of the air based on prior knowledge, but closer to 50% SoC storage is healthier for the battery. You can also leave it at 50% if you wish, but I don't think the difference would be much. For super long term storage, I do believe you'd see better results storing at 70% instead of 90%, but probably not much of a difference storing at 50% instead of 70%.

9. derotam

derotam Member

Anywhere between 50-70% is what you will find for "long term" storage of Li-Ion batteries. The range narrows a bit between 60-70% when you look at past statements by the current leading Li-Ion experts.