Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep tesla 3 in garage with high and cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in the northeast and my garage can be really hot in the summer (> 90F) and cold in the winter (20-32 F normally). How would this affect the battery to Tesla 3? If it harm it, what can I do to help keep the car in good condition without remodel my garage? My garage is neither insulated nor climate controlled.

What if I leave the car in the garage for 2-3 months? Should I keep in plugged or not? Will there be any issue?

Keep it plugged in as much as possible, and set the charge limit to 70% if being unused for long amounts of time (over 2 weeks at a time). 90F isn't really a big deal for the batteries. Neither is the 20F, since outside would be worse. The car should be fine.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I live in the northeast and my garage can be really hot in the summer (> 90F) and cold in the winter (20-32 F normally). How would this affect the battery to Tesla 3? If it harm it, what can I do to help keep the car in good condition without remodel my garage? My garage is neither insulated nor climate controlled.

What if I leave the car in the garage for 2-3 months? Should I keep in plugged or not? Will there be any issue?

That is not really hot or cold really.

There is nothing you need to do, you can just follow the "a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla" mantra.

Reactions: RScottyL
Keep it plugged in as much as possible, and set the charge limit to 70% if being unused for long amounts of time (over 2 weeks at a time). 90F isn't really a big deal for the batteries. Neither is the 20F, since outside would be worse. The car should be fine.

I'm curious, why 70%? Is this a number you pulled out of the air or something related to a parked tesla?

• Love
Reactions: voip-ninja
I'm curious, why 70%? Is this a number you pulled out of the air or something related to a parked tesla?

If you park it when 80% to 90% charged, plug it in and set the charge limit to 70%, its unlikely the car will actually need to charge the batteries if you leave if for a few weeks. Any power it needs to temperature-protect the batteries or to check for updates will come from the house's power.

That would be my take on the "70% theory", but yes 70% is arbitrary and just happens to be the midpoint between 50% and 90%.

Anytime you aren’t driving it for months at a time, I would recommend setting the charge limit to 50%
When ready to use it, bump it up.
Otherwise 70% to 90% is fine.

I mostly just pulled it out of the air based on prior knowledge, but closer to 50% SoC storage is healthier for the battery. You can also leave it at 50% if you wish, but I don't think the difference would be much. For super long term storage, I do believe you'd see better results storing at 70% instead of 90%, but probably not much of a difference storing at 50% instead of 70%.