TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Keep the BMW convertible, or sell it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HankLloydRight, Jan 21, 2014.

1. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I know this is ultimately only a question I can answer... but I figured I'd throw it out there for comment. First, a little background. I just sold my Delorean I've had for 14 years to (partially) fund the Model S (I'm trolling the inventory cars for the right model). I also have an 2002 BMW M5 (E39), and a 2010 BMW Z4 335i (both standard transmissions).

Now that I have room in the garage the Delorean freed up, I'm hot to get a MS. As it is now, I primarily drive the M5 in the late fall to early spring, and then switch over to the Z4 for the warmer months. I also have winter wheels/tires on the M5, so it's my "winter" car as well (I live in New England).

When I get an MS, I'm afraid that I'll be wanting to drive it pretty much all the time, except when the weather is real bad, I'll use the M5 in ice and snow weather. That leaves the Z4 sitting alone, pretty much unused year-round. I guess maybe once or twice on really nice days, I'd take it out just because. On the other hand, I could easy sell it for $35k to further fund the MS, and/or upgrade to a higher spec MS than I was planning on (85 to P85 or P85 to P85+, I haven't decided yet!).

Last week during a warm spell, I took the Z4 out for a few days, and I forgot how much of a kick in the ass that car is -- it's so much fun to drive (even with the top up)! It made me question if I really want to sell it. But that brings me back to "would I ever really drive it enough to justify keeping it".. while I continue to pay insurance and depreciation each year I keep it.

I know you're thinking "sell the M5, and keep the Z4!".. but that's the problem.. the M5 isn't really worth all that much anymore (compared to the Z4), so it's actually much more valuable for me to keep it as the "winter" car and keep the MS safe in the garage during those really nasty storms -- like what's happening now!. :)

I'm also a manual-trans nut.. I really enjoy the connected/active driving feeling. I've already read most/all of the threads here that talk about all you manual-to-MS "converts".. so you can spare me on that, but I'm sure I'd miss that in the Z4 on a nice summer day with the top down.

Anyway, if you read this far, what would you do? Keep the Z4 just to have it around sometimes, or sell it and upgrade the MS I'd buy?

If you are in my position and have a sporty convertible, how much do you drive it now that you have an MS?

thanks.

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

My opinion: I don't think you'll miss the speed of the Z4. The S is pretty damn fast, and despite its hefty weight, handles quite well. Certainly won't live up to the Z4, but I'm willing to bet you'll forgive that in exchange for the other benefits.

What I do suspect you'll miss is having the top down. I want a convertible. Badly. But with a young family it's hard with car seats and such. I thought the giant panoramic roof would be a good compromise, and while great, it's just not the same. (I drove a convertible for a week on vacation and returned to the Model S for comparison)

I suspect, assuming you're smitten with driving with a top down (and you bought an impractical roadster, so that's a good bet), you'd probably drive it about the same amount you do now. Whether that's worth it to you or not, it's hard to say. Certainly a 2010 still has quite a ways to depreciate.

Unlike a lot of people here, though, I still regularly go back and drive my previous manual car and think, "Wow. This is a fantastic car." So, take that how you will.

3. Atebit

Atebit Member

#3 Atebit, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    LOL we are almost in the same situation. I have a 2011 Z4 30i and a pickup as the "bad weather" car. I too am torn about which one (if any) to sell. Here in NC I can usually drive the Z4 top-down 8 or more months out of the year. So I understand what you say about wanting to drive the MS & making the Z4 lonely.

At first I was considering getting a MS with a solid roof. Then I got thinking maybe the pano roof might make up for the open top experience in the Z4. I'm still on the fence on that one but I'm tending to think "no" at this point. Plus, my Z4 is yellow which is hard to find & they are no longer producing them in that color.

I'm trying to avoid having three cars including the MS when I were to get it, but its turning out to be a tough decision.

4. ThosEM

ThosEM Space Weatherman

Sell them both and find a used Tesla roadster....

5. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I sold my bmw 335is convertible when I picked up the Model S. I do miss having a convertible, I won't lie to you. But the MS is more fun to drive. I looked at the roadster; while it's a fun car, it's not an every day car, imho. The model S really is a full generation beyond the roadster as far as technology. In the future, if Tesla creates a new, built from the ground up convertible I will be VERY tempted. Especially if it's a hard top and can be used all season.

If you can afford to keep the convertible and pick up the MS, then do that. But if you have to make a choice, give up the convertible for the MS for now. The pano roof is fairly long (I know, it's not the same; but maybe it can hold you over for a few years.)

my $.02

Andrew

6. MassX1317

MassX1317 Addicted to TMC

I'd go Z4 and Model S with Pano if you have the funds. Then trade the Z4 for the Model X in about 2 years to have your "winter car".

7. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I think you'll miss the convertible for about 3.9 seconds with pano open ;)

8. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

+1 :)

9. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

No, that's not what I was thinking.

Sounds like you haven't driven a Tesla yet. Tesla has the best drivetrain on the planet, bar none. Electric response time is measure in milliseconds, ICE response times are measured in hundredths of seconds - there's actually a noticeable difference in responsiveness from not having to get valves open and pumps of more gas/air into the cylinders to fire to push pistons to push the crankshaft, etc.

Z4 gets replaced by Roadster, M5 gets replaced my Model S. Easy, as long as you have the dough.

FWIW, I've owned a Triumph Spitfire, Jaguar E-Type convertible ('66 souped up with Isky cams, Mallory dual-point, and Weber DCOEs), and a few BMW 3-series, including a 325is and a 330iC. No regrets at all going to Roadster.

10. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

I don't know... I've not only driven one, but own one, and I still love my manual transmission car. I drive it 2-3 times a week, whenever I get a chance. The Tesla is great for a daily driver, and the responsiveness is excellent, but it's not the same as shifting. I won't say you'll miss the manual completely, because that's not true either, but I love rowing through the gears and nothing in the Tesla completely emulates that feeling.

If you're buying something that's "automatic," the Model S is absolutely the most manual-like car you'll find. The complaint that the car never seems to be shifting how you want is, obviously, completely eliminated because there's no shifting. The sunroof's the same way. If you need a sedan, the Model S with the Pano roof is probably the most convertible-like car you'll find. But again, it's not quite the same.

If he's passionate about those two things, I think he'll miss the Z4 IMHO.

11. Atebit

Atebit Member

Actually I just had the chance to sit in (but not drive) a roadster yesterday. I thought my R170 was not too comfortable...the roadster was much less so. In some ways, the Z4 is bigger than I'd like, but the roadster seemed way too cramped for me, and I'm not a big person. I was really hoping the roadster might be a viable option, but I don't think so, at least for me.

12. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

BMW convertibles are for girls!

13. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

X. What are you trying to say here? Could you elaborate?

14. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

#14 HankLloydRight, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    I actually did drive a Tesla this past weekend - P85. Unfortunately, it was a rather short "test drive" from the Tesla showroom, so I really didn't have much time to evaluate it. It certainly was a blast to drive and powerful. Except for the extremely low center of gravity and the rail-like handling, it was very similar to driving my M5 (sans the shifting). I need to go for another test drive to be convinced.

Well, that's not going to happen! :)

15. Conflagrare

Conflagrare New Member

I have to admit I'm not an owner, but I'm pretty sure Model S is in the same segment/market as BMW M5, therefore you should replace M5 with Model S.

16. HHHH

HHHH Member

Hank,

I can sympathize with your plight, I had an '01 E39 M5 (Carbon Black), throughout the years no matter what I "upgraded" to (E55, E60 M5, etc.) , I missed that car with the exception of my recently sold 911 turbo. I still look at M5's from time to time, especially those E39's. You are in a difficult spot because you will definitely drive the Model S everywhere, so it replaces the M5 with it's driving dynamics, while the Z4 is a completely different animal altogether. Once you start driving electric, you will hate filling gas, you will resent the car for making you feed it gas. The bottom line is you will miss the Z4 more if you sell it. The E39 is a classic and although you won't get enough for it, it's that car's dynamics that are being replaced.

In a perfect world you get your Model S and then decide what you will be miss the most. Chances are you will sell both and just get something cheap as a backup car or keep the M5 for that duty.

17. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Thanks for your comments. Can you comment on the S85, P85 or P85+ compared to the E39 M5? Also with respect to the Tesla air versus coil suspension? I don't *think* I need the P85+, and I'd sure like to save the extra cash on the upgraded wheels and required air suspension. The Tesla advisor told me that the air suspension only affects ride height and not handling. Is that true? If I don't get a P85+, I'm leaning towards the coil suspension.

18. SwedishAdvocate

#18 SwedishAdvocate, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    You could always start up an organization with the goal to lobby and convince Tesla to offer a Model S (or other-sized car) with a ‘6-speed ICE-manual transmission simulation interface’ that lets you drive the car old-school style if you want to, complete with a simulated ICE-engine note through the (Ultra High Fidelity) Sound System. It would of course be possible to disengaged this interface at will whenever.

You’re welcome! :wink:

19. fluxemag

fluxemag Member

I was going to say you should keep the Z4, but since you have the M5 I think you should sell the Z4. I miss an exhaust note and manual gear box from time to time (like once a month would be fine). I have never owned a vert, but the pano roof is pretty good for my preference. Get the P85. I've driven every version of the Model S and if I had the money I would do P85 with coil suspension and put aftermarket wheels on. The 21's make a loud road noise at freeway speeds, the 19's don't look the part, so I went with aftermarket 20's. I never noticed any difference in daily driving between the coil and air. The 60 and the 85 feel about the same on the butt dyno, but the P85 feels significantly faster, and it is. The 40 starts out like a 60, but after you get below 100 miles of range the peak power is reduced (one of the reasons I wish they had chosen the top of the battery instead of the bottom). The P85+ seems like a lot of extra dough for what it is (not faster).

20. SwedishAdvocate

There is a member here who goes by “lolachampcar” who has a P85+. As I understand it he preferred the coil suspension. He has written extensively about this topic in various threads. You should be able to find those posts/threads through the search function.

- - - Updated - - -

As I remember it he also used to have the M5 as a performance benchmark before he ‘fell’ for the Model S…