TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Keep the DAMN car running please!

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by Ferrett, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Ferrett

Ferrett Member

Everytime I go for a quick grocery run (just myself, the driver), even leaving the FOB in the car, the car will shut down, leaving my family in a heated car. How do I prevent that? This has been annoying me and well, my family mostly.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

Have a passenger touch the main display after your door closes. Or the hard way, put in Neutral and put e-break on.

• Informative x 2
  3. davewill

davewill Member

Leave a large sack of potatoes on the driver's seat.

• Funny x 8
    • Helpful x 2
  4. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

You can just press e-brake and the car will put itself in neutral. Have used this to keep the car on for people as I've gone inside.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. dohmer

dohmer Member

As Paul suggested, I get the kids to touch the screen to turn on the MCU and HVAC

• Informative x 1
  6. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

According to the recent camping article, one of the iPhone apps has a mode that keeps the HVAC active indefinitely. They're talking about it for camping, but it might work for your situation as well.

I Went Camping in the Trunk of a $145,000 Tesla

• Informative x 1
  7. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Does that actually work? I was trying to figure out a 'camping mode' where you can be a a campground and charge overnight and sleep in the back. You can't use the e-brake trick because you can't charge with it in that state.
    If you have an iphone then you can user "remote s" app ($10) and it will reset your climate controls (at least) every 30 minutes.

Iphone app with 'camping mode': Remote S for Tesla on the App Store

• Helpful x 1
  8. Blurry_Eyed

Blurry_Eyed MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761

If you want to keep the HVAC running, open up the official Tesla iPhone or Android app and turn on the HVAC. It will stay on for 30 minutes. If you download a third party iPhone app (Remote S by Regoapps), there is a 'camping mode' that will keep the HVAC running indefinitely if you want to keep it running without having to remember to check the official Tesla app every 30 minutes.

9. beegee

beegee Member

Yeah, touching the center screen is the easiest.

10. evp

evp Nerd

Have your passenger push down on the center of the drivers seat firmly after you get out and close the door. Or if they forget and the car eventually turns off, just touch the screen and it will power back on.

11. David29

David29 Member

Leave the door ajar. That is, close it so that it goes past the first latch but does not latch into the doorframe. The A/C will continue to run. (Not sure about audio but I would think so.) I have used this many times when there is someone in the car.

• Helpful x 2
  12. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

I recently did a road trip with some chocolate candies in the car. At superchargers like Manteca with 105º air temp and surrounded by black pavement, I had to pull up the iPhone Tesla App in order to turn on the Climate system so I wouldn't have a puddle of chocolate when I got back from the restrooms.

Is there an easy way to turn on Climate in an empty car when I get out?

13. davewill

davewill Member

I have no clue. It was meant as a joke. It does remind me of this cartoon, though.

[​IMG]

• Funny x 12
  14. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

I proposed (to Elon on Twitter) a "Hold Temperature" button that would pop up over the HVAC controls whenever the car was placed in park--- sort of like the garage door openers do when you're close to home-- that would hold the current set temperature for 30 minutes.

Not only would this be faster than triggering the app after you've left the car, but it would allow the car to maintain temp when NO ONE is in it while running errands in hot/cold weather. Generally speaking, for quick stops this should be more efficient than allowing the cabin to drift away from the preset temp and have to fight back when you return.

As expected... there was no response on Twitter. But there ya go--- an easily added piece of code that would benefit ALL Tesla owners, not just the newer Autopilot crowd.

• Like x 6
  15. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Perhaps this:

I sent this in today:

16. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

Emailed! Well... let's see.

Also asked them to finally get the labeling right on the main display (ha!): Tesla Pittsburgh on Twitter

17. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Thanks, I will have to try this!

18. X Fan

X Fan Member

My wife just tells my dog to sit in my seat until I come back.

Everyone's then happy, my dog, my wife and me.....

• Funny x 4
  19. GoCanes

GoCanes Member

One note of caution when leaving the A/C on in humid climates. I recently turned the A/C on while at a supercharger in Port Orange, FL. Because of the high humidity, an ice dam built up at the blower, so no air was blowing through the unit when I got back on the road. It took about 20 minutes of highway driving before the ice dam melted and cool air started circulating.

• Informative x 3
  20. PacManMX

PacManMX Member

The other night I was the designated driver for my husband and another couple at a wedding reception. I got tired early and went to nap in the car while all the intoxicated folks were making fools of themselves on the dance floor. It was 60 degrees out so no need for climate control. I wanted all interior lights off to minimize attention.

My problem was the opposite of this thread! I simply wanted to turn the damn car "off" and couldn't do it for more than a few seconds. ANY slight motion, touch of the screen, touch of a pedal, etc...turned the front screens on. This is fine for when the car is in idle mode, but when I navigate to "power off" and then click a confirmation box, I would expect it to be slightly more difficult to wake up. Every time I adjusted my position the car would turn on. Wish it wasn't this easy! :)