Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep the DAMN car running please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I proposed (to Elon on Twitter) a "Hold Temperature" button that would pop up over the HVAC controls whenever the car was placed in park--- sort of like the garage door openers do when you're close to home-- that would hold the current set temperature for 30 minutes.

Tesla engineering calls this the "Keep the doggies alive" feature.

About 36 months ago ownership told me that they were very close to releasing it. So any day now...

Easy as has been described...2 seconds of effort and the ac/heat/stereo will stay on. This is essentially part of "camping mode"
- 1) driver foot on brake/ put car in neutral with right hand lever
- 2) touch "E-brake" button in "controls'.
Driver exits car
-have whoever is in car touch tiny "key" in upper left touch screen to lock the car for security
Done

many other ways...phone app, continue to touch screen every 1/2 hour when a/c and touch screen starts to turn off, place 50 lb bag of Krugerrands in driver seat, etc.

Reactions: ColBatGuano
Ah, I see. So, it's a two-step process: (1) Engage the parking brake then (2) turn the car off. Thanks!

No. Don't turn the car off at all. Engage Neutral, then engage Emergency brake/Parking brake (Not park).

Car stays running. You can do the same with an ICE - put the car in Neutral and Parking brake on. Then exit - don't turn it off.

It's a little bit scarier in an ICE since you also lock gears by putting it in park, so you won't generally do this. But in a Tesla there is literally no mechanical difference between Neutral+Parking Brake and putting the car in Park.

Last edited:
No. Don't turn the car off at all. Engage Neutral, then engage Emergency brake/Parking brake (Not park).

Car stays running. You can do the same with an ICE - put the car in Neutral and Parking brake on. Then exit - don't turn it off.

It's a little bit scarier in an ICE since you also lock gears by putting it in park, so you won't generally do this. But in a Tesla there is literally no mechanical difference between Neutral+Parking Brake and putting the car in Park.
Sorry for my lack of clarity. I meant that the "E-Brake & Power Off" control doesn't do both at once, but just that it takes you to a screen where you could do one then the other. So, even though you're going to a screen that says "E-Brake & Power Off", you can do the first, but not the second (engage the parking brake, but not power off the car).

The other night I was the designated driver for my husband and another couple at a wedding reception. I got tired early and went to nap in the car while all the intoxicated folks were making fools of themselves on the dance floor. It was 60 degrees out so no need for climate control. I wanted all interior lights off to minimize attention.

My problem was the opposite of this thread! I simply wanted to turn the damn car "off" and couldn't do it for more than a few seconds. ANY slight motion, touch of the screen, touch of a pedal, etc...turned the front screens on. This is fine for when the car is in idle mode, but when I navigate to "power off" and then click a confirmation box, I would expect it to be slightly more difficult to wake up. Every time I adjusted my position the car would turn on. Wish it wasn't this easy! :)

I would considered sitting in the passenger seat or the 2nd row.

How is ANY of that easier than ONE FREAKING BUTTON that appears magically when you park the car??

I get that there are alternatives and workarounds... but that's missing the point. There's no reason why it can't be ONLY one touch and super intuitive for everyone, even those who don't deep dive into the forums.

Not sure of the transmission's role and if it makes a difference or not-- but being that we have hills in Pittsburgh, I'm not comfortable walking away from my car in neutral/e-brake if there is a P to be selected instead. I guess I've seen too many news stories.

Not sure of the transmission's role and if it makes a difference or not-- but being that we have hills in Pittsburgh, I'm not comfortable walking away from my car in neutral/e-brake if there is a P to be selected instead. I guess I've seen too many news stories.

If you don't trust your Model S's handbrake you shouldn't be driving it. A Model S doesn't have a parking brake, as that would require a gearbox.

So the "P" thing just turns on your handbrake. Same as the e-brake button.

If you don't trust your Model S's handbrake you shouldn't be driving it. A Model S doesn't have a parking brake, as that would require a gearbox.

So the "P" thing just turns on your handbrake. Same as the e-brake button.

I believe I wrote that I wasn't sure if it made a difference or not, but that if there is a P, I would prefer it--- the "you shouldn't be driving it" comment isn't necessary.

Why must all forum replies be so personal and judgmental??

Yes, there is no park pawl like on most automatics. There is no "handbrake" either. On the rear wheels (you can see them through the wheel openings) there are is an extra secondary brake caliper on each side that is driven by an electric motor. This is applied whenever the car is in "park" or if the "parking brake" is applied. You can easily hear them apply. The car will not roll once these clamp down.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Leave the door ajar. That is, close it so that it goes past the first latch but does not latch into the doorframe. The A/C will continue to run. (Not sure about audio but I would think so.) I have used this many times when there is someone in the car.
This only works on the S (and it's how I've always done it). The X will draw the door closed when you slightly latch it.

Reactions: scottf200
I believe I wrote that I wasn't sure if it made a difference or not, but that if there is a P, I would prefer it--- the "you shouldn't be driving it" comment isn't necessary.

Why must all forum replies be so personal and judgmental??

You were referring to horror stories about people who have left their cars without it being in "P".

So it's necessary to understand what a Model S does differently to those vehicles before scaremongering.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Yes, there is no park pawl like on most automatics. There is no "handbrake" either. On the rear wheels (you can see them through the wheel openings) there are is an extra secondary brake caliper on each side that is driven by an electric motor. This is applied whenever the car is in "park" or if the "parking brake" is applied. You can easily hear them apply. The car will not roll once these clamp down.

This was the response I was looking for. Certainly you can hear the parking brake being applied, but my assumption was there would be some DOT or NHTSA regulation somewhere that required the transmission to be locked. You're saying that-- from an engineering standpoint-- there is zero difference in the holding capability of the car in PARK versus the car in NEUTRAL with the parking brake on. I suppose this is consistent with stick-shift ICE that are left with a gear engaged. So thanks for the clarification.

Still not the same as a single tap to the screen upon exit though. I think all these workarounds are exactly that. With a car that is run by software this is easily added-- which was the point.

For instance, I *could* pull into my driveway, exit the car, unlock my house, walk through the interior to the garage, then open the garage door from inside, enter the car and drive into the garage (like I had to do with my loaner last week).

**OR** I could just tap the screen and the door opens.

This was the response I was looking for. Certainly you can hear the parking brake being applied, but my assumption was there would be some DOT or NHTSA regulation somewhere that required the transmission to be locked. You're saying that-- from an engineering standpoint-- there is zero difference in the holding capability of the car in PARK versus the car in NEUTRAL with the parking brake on. I suppose this is consistent with stick-shift ICE that are left with a gear engaged. So thanks for the clarification.

Still not the same as a single tap to the screen upon exit though. I think all these workarounds are exactly that. With a car that is run by software this is easily added-- which was the point.

For instance, I *could* pull into my driveway, exit the car, unlock my house, walk through the interior to the garage, then open the garage door from inside, enter the car and drive into the garage (like I had to do with my loaner last week).

**OR** I could just tap the screen and the door opens.
**OR** you can use the Summon feature, initiated remotely from inside your garage or by double tapping Park button before exiting.;)

Easy as has been described...2 seconds of effort and the ac/heat/stereo will stay on. This is essentially part of "camping mode"
- 1) driver foot on brake/ put car in neutral with right hand lever
- 2) touch "E-brake" button in "controls'.
Driver exits car
-have whoever is in car touch tiny "key" in upper left touch screen to lock the car for security
Done

many other ways...phone app, continue to touch screen every 1/2 hour when a/c and touch screen starts to turn off, place 50 lb bag of Krugerrands in driver seat, etc.

I've found that my 16ish lb camera bag is enough to fool the seat sensor.

Here's another way to keep the car alive when driver exits... and it doesn't involve interaction with any screen.

Park the car, put it in Park.
Open driver door.
Get out.
Reach in with your leg and press the brake pedal with a quick jab is enough.
Get your leg out.
Shut door, completely.

Done.

Ta - da!

With this method and possibly other methods mentioned above.. be advised that:

If the driver has the only key, walking away will lock the doors.

If other people remain in the car, after the doors have locked, if they open a door from the inside handle it will open but the alarm will sound. I guess this is a feature because you'll know if your captive audience has escaped.

p.s. X owners have a lot to learn from the S owner experience and postings, lots can be found over in the S forums about interface... for features that are the same or similar between cars.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ormond