Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Keep the Tesla app running for the best phonekey experience"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you close the app entirely, the car may not recognize you when you go to open the doors and you may have to open the app for the functionality to work. If you're ok with this, close the app. Except for some very specific and limited circumstances, I don't know why you'd close the app.

Reactions: Big Earl
If you close the app entirely, the car may not recognize you when you go to open the doors and you may have to open the app for the functionality to work. If you're ok with this, close the app. Except for some very specific and limited circumstances, I don't know why you'd close the app.
I constantly kill the app and never have to take my phone out of my pocket or launch the app. Exactly how iOS is designed to work. If you kill the app it will be restarted in background fairly quickly.

I support an app in the App Store that does the same thing and the app announces when it connects to the BLE device. So I know exactly how it behaves.

I’ve been monitoring this thread for a year or more. I understand everything (almost!) that the group is sharing. But I can’t agree with everyone’s experiences. I’m on my second M3 and going on four years of ownership so I’m not a newbie. What I disagree with is the strong opinions posted about phantom draining. Each car is different - I routinely hard quit the Tesla app and when I open it, it says my car was checked 1 or 5 or 10 hours ago even though I never used or checked the car. Something is waking the car. Or at least the app tells me how long ago the car was last checked. It makes no sense. But it’s happening whether I leave the app open or closed. So this is sorta a plea for all the great folks in this community to lighten up in their posts. Each car and associated Tesla software and app and phone and operating system is different and weird things that are reported really can happen. But I am pleased that the overnight drain on my new M3 is way lower than with previous versions of the app and car software.

I’ve been monitoring this thread for a year or more. I understand everything (almost!) that the group is sharing. But I can’t agree with everyone’s experiences. I’m on my second M3 and going on four years of ownership so I’m not a newbie. What I disagree with is the strong opinions posted about phantom draining. Each car is different - I routinely hard quit the Tesla app and when I open it, it says my car was checked 1 or 5 or 10 hours ago even though I never used or checked the car. Something is waking the car. Or at least the app tells me how long ago the car was last checked. It makes no sense. But it’s happening whether I leave the app open or closed. So this is sorta a plea for all the great folks in this community to lighten up in their posts. Each car and associated Tesla software and app and phone and operating system is different and weird things that are reported really can happen. But I am pleased that the overnight drain on my new M3 is way lower than with previous versions of the app and car software.
It’s the last time the car spoke with home base, not your phone.

Anyone else getting this message when they close their Tesla app? Every single time I close the app a banner appears that says

Keep the Tesla app running for the best phone key experience

Stays on the screen like a push notification and shows up every time I close the app.
Yes, was wondering why the message appears several times a day. Noting forum replies that say keeping app open isn’t necessary. Begs the question-why does Tesla keep sending the message?