Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping 12V on to power eCooler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are still awaiting delivery of our Model Y so I couldn’t test this out myself. We have an eCooler from Costco and plan to power it from the Model Y on a camping trip.

I have searched the forum and consulted the manual. If I’m understanding correctly, to keep the 12V continuously powered I should either enable Sentry Mode or Camp Mode, correct? Will this only power the front 12V or also the rear 12V port? I am guessing Sentry Mode will consume less power than Camp Mode since Camp Mode keeps the screen and climate on, right? There’s not a more efficient way to power the 12V port besides tapping into the actual 12V battery?

We are still awaiting delivery of our Model Y so I couldn’t test this out myself. We have an eCooler from Costco and plan to power it from the Model Y on a camping trip.

I have searched the forum and consulted the manual. If I’m understanding correctly, to keep the 12V continuously powered I should either enable Sentry Mode or Camp Mode, correct? Will this only power the front 12V or also the rear 12V port? I am guessing Sentry Mode will consume less power than Camp Mode since Camp Mode keeps the screen and climate on, right? There’s not a more efficient way to power the 12V port besides tapping into the actual 12V battery?

Correct - to keep the 12 volt outlets active, you can use either sentry mode or one of the climate keeper modes (on/dog/camp). 12 volt will also remain active while the car is charging.

Tying directly into the 12 volt battery is not recommended. The car monitors how much energy comes and goes from it and will get upset by consumption that it doesn’t expect.

Last edited:
You can enable Camp Mode with the AC turned off, minimal HVAC fan speed. That would minimize power use while keeping the 12V accessory outlets, USB ports powered on.

If the Tesla vehicle has FSD then you could leave Summon/Smart Summon active when you are camping. The Tesla vehicle will not go to sleep while Summon is active. I believe the 12V accessory outlets, USB ports would remain powered on.

• Informative
Reactions: FatherTo1
All time record setting temperatures of 109f in Seattle Monday and like most in Seattle, we don’t have air conditioning. My wife wants to sleep in the garage in Camp mode and plug her cpap Machine into the 12v. It takes about 80 watts. Saw you tube video from i1 Tesla where he camped with an electric ice chest and after that the car said the 12v battery was bad even though not very old. Should I be concerned?

All time record setting temperatures of 109f in Seattle Monday and like most in Seattle, we don’t have air conditioning. My wife wants to sleep in the garage in Camp mode and plug her cpap Machine into the 12v. It takes about 80 watts. Saw you tube video from i1 Tesla where he camped with an electric ice chest and after that the car said the 12v battery was bad even though not very old. Should I be concerned?

Leave camp mode on and you should be good to go.

Reactions: bruce4000
That’s interesting. One week after camping with a 12 volt ice chest plugged in, I also got a message that the battery needs to be replaced. Being replaced tomorrow.

If you are using Camp mode then the Model Y is not going into sleep mode. When Camp mode is on 12V power is provided by the DC-to-DC converter. I doubt that the timing of the need to replace the 12V battery has anything to do with plugging in the 12V ice chest. The life span of a 12V battery in a Tesla vehicle is only ~2 years, sometimes less.

If you are using Camp mode then the Model Y is not going into sleep mode. When Camp mode is on 12V power is provided by the DC-to-DC converter. I doubt that the timing of the need to replace the 12V battery has anything to do with plugging in the 12V ice chest. The life span of a 12V battery in a Tesla vehicle is only ~2 years, sometimes less.
Eeeeeek. I guess I should start watching more of those "Tesla experience after X years of ownership" YouTube videos. Is the 12V battery something that can be easily replaced by owner or does Tesla SC have to do it? I thought I saw a video or two (or maybe even a posting on TMC) that people swap that battery out with something better. Hopefully the newer builds have a better 12V battery!

The Tesla Model Y should notify the driver when the 12V battery requires service, i.e. replacing. You can create a service request via the Tesla app and Tesla Mobile Service, where available, will come to your location and replace the 12V battery. You can also purchase the 12V battery from Tesla and replace the 12V battery yourself. There is at least one lithium type replacement battery for Tesla vehicles. The installation of the Ohmmu 12V battery is pretty much the same as replacing the factory 12V battery.

Some also keep a small 12V jump starter pack at home, to take on trips. The jump starter will enable you to start the Tesla in the event that the 12V battery fails before you can have a replacement 12V battery installed.

• Helpful
Reactions: Trip McNealy