Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping a model 3 Long term...? Hold value, Reliability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the car performs like it does for 95% of people you'll only need brakes, tires, air conditioning tune ups, brake fluid checks, and battery coolant checks. Of course every component has a chance of breaking before it's supposed to but the probability of that is really low. Buying a hybrid has a gas engine and a lithium ion battery. It has the most parts of any vehicle being that you're combining an EV and a gas engine. Which raises your probability of a part breaking.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Simply put, nobody can really answer your question. Why? Because nobody has had a model 3 for over 5 years. Just enjoy your car everyday and take care of it.
You will always lose money on your car.

It’s an awesome vehicle and as long as it works for you and brings you joy you should keep it.
Oh and get the acceleration boost while your at it.
Happy driving!

*knock wood* after three years of ownership (2018 LR RWD), this car has been insanely reliable and cheap to operate given what it is (luxury-ish performance sedan). I had one issue that required a real service experience (some sort of suspension issue that was handled under warranty). My understanding is the part they replaced they changed the manufacturing process to improve it in new models. I am at ~38K miles and my battery shows 305 miles at 100% (just did this two weeks ago for a trip). To date, the car has held its value well.

While at purchase, I planned to hold the car for 10 years, like my other cars, I am pining for a sports car. I have been browsing for and thinking about an ICE sports car. The model 3 is so amazing, fast enough, cheap, and no fuss that it is making the decision difficult. The styling just stinks compared to almost all vehicles I find attractive (Audi A5 sportbacks to Porsche 911s to Porsche Taycan CTs).

In short, I expect the Model 3 to fare pretty well for at least a few more years. The other car makers are catching up but I still find their EVs a bit lacking and until the charger networks catch up to Tesla, the Model 3 will stay relevant. Except for the higher end EVs (Taycan and E-Tron), I think most will be missing something versus Tesla’s Model 3.

What are you thought on the M3 as a daily long distance driver or should I look into a hybrid car for my commute? Like what beside tire and brakes would go, I heard system repair are like buying a kidney or something.

M3 should be an awesome long distance driver as long as you have good charging options.

You probably wont need to replace brake pads very often, you will hardly use because most of your braking is done with re-gen, as for maintenance: When is First Scheduled Maintenance for Model 3

But you may go through tires faster than you would with an ICE car.

This is a good thread to checkout: High mileage check-in

Reactions: SpicyPaneer