Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping a model 3 Long term...? Hold value, Reliability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This will change dramatically after wide and affordable battery upgrade options became available. Of course it is a big ‘if’ and many will tell me this will never happen. IMO it will, but we of course have to wait and see.

You sure about that? Tesla discontinued the battery replacement options for the original Roadster.

And why would you want to replace the battery in the 3? It's going to be good for 400-500k miles. Battery replacement will cost more than the value of the vehicle.

Customer electronics generally blue has a legal requirement to provide replacement parts for 7 years post being discontinued, assuming it hasn’t changed.

I’m not sure what the rules are for automobiles. That said Mercedes and I’m assuming others offer parts for decades afterwards. Mercedes even has a shop in Los Angeles somewhere that you can bring a MBZ of any age for repair or full refurbishment.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
You sure about that? Tesla discontinued the battery replacement options for the original Roadster.

And why would you want to replace the battery in the 3? It's going to be good for 400-500k miles. Battery replacement will cost more than the value of the vehicle.

No one can be sure until it happened. Roadster was low-volume, manual production. I would like better future battery, ideally.

I'd like to see the prices on used model 3 in next 3 months when refresh hits the US. Whenever a car refreshes, the value of the previous gen drops. The model 3 depreciated little because the refresh wasnt out.

We will start seeing its effect soon.

Look at the model S, OG 2012-2015 are like $30k, even a P85+. 2017 was when AP2 was added. 2018 MCU2. These models sets the cut off for another step in depreciation. I imagine next step for the 3 is going to be 4680 cells. In mid 2022

When buying the 3 and owning long term, you have to ignore all the future upgrades. I have a 11/2019 build and told myself this car will be for 15years minimum. So I was ok with glossy piano center console(already installed a plastic cover over it) and the USB-A ports. Already figured out how to upgrade them to C(see the thread here about USB C data hub).

Next project is double pane glass windows..... Let's see if we can make it happen, if not, I'll drown out the wind and road noise with the premium sound system

Owning a Tesla is like purchasing the latest Pentium Desktop computer in the 90’s. Right now it is the king of the hill but technology is changing rapidly. Either by Tesla or competitors.

Tesla Model 3/Y enjoys great resale because it is superior to everything on the market. What if Tesla’s $25k car gets 300+ miles plus similar or better acceleration? What happens when the Model 3 is upgraded to 500+ miles of range for the same price as today? Everyone is used to a mature vehicle market with ICE, where new models come out every 3 years, the improvements are in the single digit percents. It won’t be this way in the EV world.

A counter point is that these EV’s will remain relevant because they are far superior to ICE and EV’s will be in limited supply for many years. ICE resale will drop once the market fully realizes the EV future, but EV resale will drop because rapid technology evolution.

Tesla says you can charge the LFP to 100% on a regular basis, and it can charge to 100% faster. But they are also only using LFP on the low end vehicles, so that has me puzzled.

Tesla Model 3 With New LFP Battery Now Supercharges Even Faster?
Volumetric energy density is lower, meaning e.g. a Model 3 cannot be an LR with LFP; it tops out at somewhere in the 55 kWh range.

I do agree though that a smaller battery with faster charging would be an interesting trade-off.I don't think that happens in the Tesla case. The results were mangled by a cold-ish pack and V2 Supercharger resulting in the Nickel pack not taking up high power in the first 1/2 of the SoC range.

I fully expect the value of my m3 to crater at some point. I think while Tesla is selling as many as they can build, value will remain high. But as the market matures and as the current generation becomes less and less capable in comparison to newer models, that will change. I usually keep cars 8-10 years.

To me, Tesla is like an iPhone.
It is a fun tech gadget.
I do not plan to own the same iPhone for 6 to 10 years.
I wish I could afford to get a new model 3 every time they do a refresh.
Getting a new Tesla every 3 years is the best I can do, sadly...

That's a lot of money to change every 3 years.
What does that mean ?

Generations of Americans have traded in their cars for a new one every 3 -- 5 years, often in lockstep with warranties.
<shrug>
How much does it cost ? It seems to be in the $300 - $600 a month range (1 SD) depending on the model and how much convenience the person wants doing the swap. My WAG is that my Model 3 will end up costing me ~ $250 a month if I hold on to it until its EOL so the swapper pays more, but not huge amounts of money more than me and they run around in a newer car.

Not my cup of tea but I can see why someone would make that choice.

I kept the last car (ICE) that replaced this Telsa. I only intend to keep it about 3-3.5 years.

The tech is changing too much and I expect what’s offered then by Tesla, or anyone else, to be notably different.

I also don’t want to be outside of warranty and have to pay for things outside of warranty. Sure I understand the batteries and motors are 8 years. But I don’t have to worry about $2k screen replacements. $4k air con repair. Etc.

Hello everyone, don't know if this is the right place. 'm looking at purchasing the M3P or MYP and was thinking what are the long term repairs that you have all encountered in you M3's. I drive about 110 mile a day on the average daily commute and possibly may rack up more miles as well. What are you thought on the M3 as a daily long distance driver or should I look into a hybrid car for my commute? Like what beside tire and brakes would go, I heard system repair are like buying a kidney or something.

All useful comments appreciated in advance.