Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping an Infrequently Driven LFP Happy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn’t charge to 100% daily if you don’t need it. Doing so will increase your degradation compared to maintaining at a lower SOC.

In your situation, I would charge it to 70% daily and bump it up to 100% once per week, the night prior to your planned usage.

Depending on how little you actually drive, you could probably get by with charging it to 100% once per week, and leaving it unplugged the rest of the time.
I was planning to do this and probably will in the warmer months. I have the Tessie app and have already setup location based automations to set the charge limit to 80% when I leave home (for use at super chargers) and 70% when I arrive home Sunday through Thursday and 100% when I arrive home on Friday and Saturday. My concern is that I currently only have a level 1 charger and when I run the battery down, it could take 30 hours to charge back up.

I plan on getting a 240v outlet installed in the garage with the tax rebate. That will eliminate the charge time issue. I will continue to leave it plugged in full time though, even if not charging. Just a habit I am going to develop.

I was planning to do this and probably will in the warmer months. I have the Tessie app and have already setup location based automations to set the charge limit to 80% when I leave home (for use at super chargers) and 70% when I arrive home Sunday through Thursday and 100% when I arrive home on Friday and Saturday. My concern is that I currently only have a level 1 charger and when I run the battery down, it could take 30 hours to charge back up.

I plan on getting a 240v outlet installed in the garage with the tax rebate. That will eliminate the charge time issue. I will continue to leave it plugged in full time though, even if not charging. Just a habit I am going to develop.
Do you live in an Urban area? I just discovered, last week, that the tax credit for EVSE is not available for me because I live in an Urban area, and it is definitely not a low income area.

See attachments. My city is not listed because it is part of the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale Metropolitan Statistical Area, so be careful when looking at the list of cities. I dare say very few populated places will qualify.

I was doing a little year end tax planning, harvesting some capital losses for my 2023 tax optimization, and my CPA sent me these documents. Bummer.

That said, 240 volt charging is way better than 120 volt. Any 240 volt, even if you can't do a 50 or 60 amp circuit is better. And a Tesla Wall Connector is best.

Attachments

• Guidance on Post 2022 Alternative Fuel Vehicle Credit.pdf
    55.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Federal Register __ 2020 Census Qualifying Urban Areas and Final Criteria Clarifications.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 27
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Do you live in an Urban area? I just discovered, last week, that the tax credit for EVSE is not available for me because I live in an Urban area, and it is definitely not a low income area.

See attachments. My city is not listed because it is part of the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale Metropolitan Statistical Area, so be careful when looking at the list of cities. I dare say very few populated places will qualify.

I was doing a little year end tax planning, harvesting some capital losses for my 2023 tax optimization, and my CPA sent me these documents. Bummer.

That said, 240 volt charging is way better than 120 volt. Any 240 volt, even if you can't do a 50 or 60 amp circuit is better. And a Tesla Wall Connector is best.
I was referring to the $7500 tax credit for the vehicle.

I do have a 50 amp breaker available because it was left unused after a kitchen remodel that removed a double wall oven.

Reactions: Eric33432