Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping Batteries Cool: True or False?

R1Fast

P3D Blue/White
Sep 11, 2018
Seattle
In extreme temperature ranges, yes.

From the manual:

Pg 93:

In addition to cooling the interior, the air conditioning compressor also cools the Battery. Therefore, in hot weather, the air conditioning compressor can turn on even if you turned it off. This is normal because the system’s priority is to cool the Battery to ensure it stays within an optimum temperature range to support
Pg 141:

Do not expose Model 3 to ambient temperatures above 140° F (60° C) or below -22° F (-30° C) for more than 24 hours at a time

There are 3 options in the UI to control this as well.

Off: No passive cooling
No a/c: blower only
On: basically climate control

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
I'm going to second and emphasize what @Uncle Paul said. They intend to sell these cars for people to own and use them as a car, not as a science experiment. They don't need you to do things to prevent the cars from letting their batteries be messed up. If there's something you shouldn't do, the car will display a warning for you. If there's something it needs to do, it will just do it, without you needing to remember or do anything.

The interior temperature control is more for whether you want to spend the energy for protecting the heat degradation of your interior materials. Like dashboard and leather seats can get kind of messed up and cracked from years of 140+ interior temperatures in the summer.

SSedan

Jul 24, 2017
Greenville Wisconsin
Maybe in extreme like -20f the battery will warm itself for protection BUT I believe it normally only warms to charge or to get regen to function which is just another way of charging.

Far as the interior temp, stop and think about the barrier that needs to be between the cabin and the battery that in extremely rare cases can catch fire, and there is carpet. You really think interior temp plays a big roll in pack temp when the pack has it's own temperature controls?

The suggestion that the interior temp is a meaningful factor in pack temp is pure silliness

I do let the car use cabin overtemp protection but I do so for comfort and because I am concerned extreme temps might contribute to main screen failures in my Model S. I don't have any data to back that up.

Reactions: Rocky_H

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC