Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping cabin cool in summer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just put 3M Crystalline tint film on my X. It’s very nice but today the car did hit 100 degrees and the overheat protection came on. I also see the option of venting the car with the push of a button. That opens all four windows about 2 inches. What is the best way to keep the cabin cool? Vent when you first park it (if in a safe place) and leave overheat protection on or vent after overheat protection kicks on or don’t vent when overheat protection is active. Today overheat protection kicked on and then I hit vent. Not sure that was smart or not. Thank you.

I think just using overheat protection.

My 2017 X current (i) description of it says 100F is it's limit.

5D9Elf2.jpg

Reactions: m5james
Sorry but that didn’t address my question.
Q: "What is the best way to keep the cabin cool?"
A: "I think just using overheat protection."
[venting not necessary] --- many 1000s of cars get way way over 100F daily -- It is unclear what your specific concern it.

You could also do testing each of the ways yourself and see what the temp gets to. Put a large temp gauge in there (below or any large non elect one) and if you have the current app you could see it from the phone (ie. pet camera) I think.

8WgIbBU.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: m5james
It gets plenty hot in my car in Houston. I have the Cabin overheat set to 100F. When I'm parked at work I can vent the windows and the temps drop pretty quickly. It works pretty well. I also have the sunroof and windshield tinted with Xpel's ceramic product. It helps keep the rate of heat flow down, but it will still get excessively hot in there. I thought about getting one of those sun shields for the summer months. Maybe that is an option for Jun-Aug. Not sure which one I may get.

Sorry but that didn’t address my question.
I am not sure what your question really is then. Cabin overheat will keep the car at around 100°. If you want lower temps simply leave Climate turned on. It will maintain your set temp. Here in Indiana, Climate consumes approx 1% of battery per hour, which is not unreasonable to me.

Cabin Overheat defaults to Being ON. Personally, I would not vent the windows with Cabin Overheat ON. I would only vent the windows if I disabled Cabin Overheat. Most of the time I leave Climate full ON, when I exit the car, up to two hours or so.

I only pay around 2.5¢ per kWh to charge at home, so the cost of the extra energy consumed is negligible.

Last edited:
I am not sure what your question really is then. Cabin overheat will keep the car at around 100°. If you want lower temps simply leave Climate turned on. It will maintain your set temp. Here in Indiana, Climate consumes approx 1% of battery per hour, which is not unreasonable to me.

Cabin Overheat defaults to Being ON. Personally, I would not vent the windows with Cabin Overheat ON. I would only vent the windows if I disabled Cabin Overheat. Most of the time I leave Climate full ON, when I exit the car, up to two hours or so.

I only pay around 2.5¢ per kWh to charge at home, so the cost of the extra energy consumed is negligible.
I was basically asking what is more efficient: Overheat protection with or without ventIng. Perhaps I will try venting when I park then when overheat protection kicks on I should put windows up.

I have a more basic question: why is cabin overheat protection important? Will the interior get damaged if I don't have this on?

That's what I was wondering as well.

Overheat protection helps deal with the greenhouse issue because of the extra glass. The aluminum seems to radiate heat. The original computer in my 2014 hates the heat, basically quits if I don't shade or cover the car.

Heat is well known to shorten the life of electronics. Some of these computers and electronics never shut down. Some (many) of the S/X screens (both driver cluster and info) had separation issues (yellowing, edge bubbles) and it is not 100% clear if that has been solved forever. Unclear if they have cabin overheat protection on by default. Hopefully now they are over the top 'automotive' grade.

pDHQIE9.jpg

We have a rental Y now while waiting for our new X (picked it up yesterday, getting it back from the PPF place in a week), and I've noticed that it keeps running the fan in the car at weird times. It's definitely not warm enough outside (been anywhere from 10-15 C when I've heard it), and it's not in direct sunlight. This can't be cabin overheat protection, right? If it isn't, what is that fan we keep hearing? (Also the car is not plugged in when I hear this.)

What is the best way to keep the cabin cool?
If you park outside in the sun for more than 12 hours, there is no good way to keep the cabin cool, especially if there's a chance of rain.

I have a more basic question: why is cabin overheat protection important? Will the interior get damaged if I don't have this on?

Cabin overheat protection only lasts for 12 hours. It's designed to keep pets and children accidentally left in the car from dying. At the last shareholders meeting Elon said that so far no pet or child has died after being left in a Tesla.

Teslas, like most/all other cars are designed to withstand high cabin temperatures. My cabin will be over 140F on most summer days.

Parking in the shade makes a big difference. So does a car cover.

We have a rental Y now while waiting for our new X (picked it up yesterday, getting it back from the PPF place in a week), and I've noticed that it keeps running the fan in the car at weird times. It's definitely not warm enough outside (been anywhere from 10-15 C when I've heard it), and it's not in direct sunlight. This can't be cabin overheat protection, right? If it isn't, what is that fan we keep hearing? (Also the car is not plugged in when I hear this.)
If your vehicle is outside, chances are quite good Cabin Overheat is coming on. You would be surprised how effective all that glass is, heating things up. Cabin Overheat will keep your cabin below ~40º C. It can be turned off, although the default is ON.

if you want to cover all the windows like the falcon top areas as well as the top part of the pano windshield, heatshield has a sunshade and it works really well

But basic physics, if its just sitting in 100+ degree weather, it absorbs the heat and regardless will get hot. Vent the windows, cabin overheat protection, etc