Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping it on Wifi when sim is not available over seas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys its not the best way but there is no other way

My X is not connecting all the time, and if it did it does not stay connected

i have a portable hotspot with 4g LTE that i keep in the car all times and my phone test connection gives me 100+ mbs

tried to reset and forget network
tried to change to other hotspot devices

Guys its not the best way but there is no other way

My X is not connecting all the time, and if it did it does not stay connected

i have a portable hotspot with 4g LTE that i keep in the car all times and my phone test connection gives me 100+ mbs

tried to reset and forget network
tried to change to other hotspot devices
The bigger worry would be monthly data caps, nobody has yet said how much data the car pulls on a monthly basis, but I'd be worried it would overwhelm your data cap on your hotspot fairly quickly, especially if it decides to download firmware and/or map updates.

The bigger worry would be monthly data caps, nobody has yet said how much data the car pulls on a monthly basis, but I'd be worried it would overwhelm your data cap on your hotspot fairly quickly, especially if it decides to download firmware and/or map updates.

This article cites 7Gb per month.

It dates from october 2014, and a few informations in it seems to be wrong, so take it with a pot of salt. :)

Interesting as Tesla says that you can't get the Premium Internet features via WiFi. (Satellite maps, streaming music, etc.)
Tesla says that simply connecting to a Wi-Fi hotspot will not magically enable Premium Connectivity features for those that haven't paid for it. But if your vehicle already has Premium Connectivity (either subscribed or grandfathered), then using Wi-Fi should not impact the availability of those features.