Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping my Model S as she ages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 model S which I don’t ever want to get rid of. She has a sunroof, and the nose cone. My question is, has anybody with an original Model S kept the vehicle, replaced the battery pack and everything is fine. I don’t know if she will become computer obsolete like an old laptop. I certainly don’t need any of the bells and whistle‘s on the software updates, just functionality. Anybody?

• Informative
Reactions: Recell and doc5339
Upvote 0
I have a 2014 model S which I don’t ever want to get rid of. She has a sunroof, and the nose cone. My question is, has anybody with an original Model S kept the vehicle, replaced the battery pack and everything is fine. I don’t know if she will become computer obsolete like an old laptop. I certainly don’t need any of the bells and whistle‘s on the software updates, just functionality. Anybody?
My 2014 S’s battery has been replaced and MCU2 upgrade. It still has door handle issues (but I have a handful of Tesla harnesses stocked up and been doing the repair myself). I have been very happy with it.

Upvote 0
Could you tell me who you use for insurance? Also, what is your maximum range?
Max is 298 miles. (Last year free warranty replacement to 90 kwh pack because they don't make 85 packs anymore.)
Progressive, and the Tesla is actually cheaper than the previous Chevy Volt! Liability only, of course, I don't use full coverage. A meesly $300 for 6 months!

Last edited:
Reactions: doc5339
Upvote 0
These third-party companies can help and should be able to resolve main battery Tesla issues for close to or less than $5k:

www.recell-ev.com

www.057tech.com

www.grubermotors.com

www.electrifiedgarage.com

I had never heard of re-cell before your post. Now I have them bookmarked. They’re close by to me.

I recall 057 mentioning that they can basically sell you a refurbished battery and offset much of the cost by “trading in” the old one…it’s a cool business model.

IMO, this gives my 2016.5+ S the potential to be a very, very long term daily driver. I would much rather keep my S swap batteries in 10 years if I need to, and spend money on a fun ICE car for the weekend.

Reactions: Recell
Upvote 0
I had never heard of re-cell before your post. Now I have them bookmarked. They’re close by to me.
I find myself super suspicious of that company. To my knowledge there isn’t a single poster here that has documented a first hand experience with them. They don’t seem to have any presence here or in any other Tesla community.

Something is off.

Upvote 0
I find myself super suspicious of that company. To my knowledge there isn’t a single poster here that has documented a first hand experience with them. They don’t seem to have any presence here or in any other Tesla community.

Something is off.

Seems to me they're just very small. The CEO is legit - but they show less than 10 employees. I'm surprised they're not on TMC though. Seems like a marketing miss :)

Reactions: Recell and El Lopo
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
First, welcome to the family. Then indeed very sorry to read your story.
In your shoes, I’d contact Jason Hugues (@wk057) as it’s odd you have those two issues at once.
He’s probably the most knowledgeable independent expert on this matter.
His business is in North Carolina (search Google for wk057 😉) but he covers all US.
Here's the link to his business website - take a look at the Battery Warranty and Replacement programs.

Upvote 0
My 6+ year old Model X with 60k miles is as good as new except for some normal battery degradation. It still fits my needs wrt range but in another 5 years maybe it will need a new battery. Here is hoping that someone will offer an reasonable exchange at that time. I will probably jump on that rather than buying a new car.
Warren Kortoff (wk057) is the battery replacement king for Teslas. He refurbishes battery packs, replacing defunct cells, and testing each battery of the pack, and supplies them for a reasonable cost. Unfortunately, he's on the east coast, so there will be shipping costs.

Upvote 0
I'm with you. 2014 Model S 85 here with 93,000 miles, and just passed my 8th anniversary of purchase. Sunroof, nose cone, large frunk, and...lifetime free supercharging. Center screen working well after the eMMC upgrade, drive unit and center screen (bubbling issue) was replaced under warranty, and still have 242 miles of range on a full charge (originally had 265). Given the price increases to upgrade that just dropped, I'm sticking with "Joules" for a while.

Upvote 0
Warren Kortoff (wk057) is the battery replacement king for Teslas. He refurbishes battery packs, replacing defunct cells, and testing each battery of the pack, and supplies them for a reasonable cost. Unfortunately, he's on the east coast, so there will be shipping costs.
Not sure who Warren is, but, I'm Jason Hughes of 057 Tech. :)

To clarify, we do battery replacements. Cells aren't replaced, despite claims by YouTube folks. We do test everything, refurbish parts that can be refurbished, and overall provide battery packs that should work for a long time. If you need battery service, upgrades, etc, we do it all. 057tech.com

Upvote 0
Flex86 VGABios current-cvs 16 Apr 2015
This VGA/VBE Bios is released under GNU LGPL
VBE Display Adapter enabled

Flex86 BIOS - build 01/17/15
$Revision: 1.235 $ $Date: 2014/09/28 16:36:02 $
Options: apmbios pcibios eltorito rombios32

Press F12 for boot menu

Booting from Floppy...

>./helloWorld.sh

OK… finally up and running and tied into TMC. #achievementunlocked

Well then. Who is (are?) Recell and what do we do?

We’ll be posting more in the days/weeks to follow, but like many of you, Recell is passionate about sustainability. We were founded by a former Continental AG exec with over 20 years of experience in software technology and vehicle telematics, and our mission is to keep these cars on the road, instead of ending up in landfills.

As for what we do, our business is built around supporting out-of-warranty Tesla vehicles and providing certified battery packs for your Model S and Model X. Starting with some of the very first battery packs developed for the Tesla Roadster and Mercedes FourTwo SmartCar, we've logged thousands of hours working on Tesla battery packs - we know them inside out. And similar to the awesome teams at 057, Electrified Garage and elsewhere, using our technology expertise we’re able to refurbish otherwise perfectly good battery packs and provide fully tested and certified battery packs, either direct to Tesla owners, or through independent service centers.

More in the weeks ahead!

Oh…and as many of our customers know, we’re completely transparent with all our work and happy to answer any questions that you might have.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
we plan on keeping the model s till its dead.
Me too! I hope to eventually replace with superior 3rd party packs such as this one:

@wk057, if an owner went cheap and replaced some pack modules with unmatched ones, the bms will shutoff the car unexpectedly when any cells reach 3.1 volts, right? I assume we could monitor individual voltages via ScanMyTesla to learn when the pack will shuts off, like 170 miles for example.

If all cell were top-balanced at 100% 4.2 volts, can we update the screen or bms to calibrate for 170 miles and update the SOC % display? To make driving reliable although degraded.

I saw someone post proof of concept on TMC= supercharging a chevy volt pack, and the Model S instrument cluster displayed 38 miles and a close to full battery icon.

Upvote 0
Just to present an alternate view to the trend in the thread, I had planned to keep a 2014 85 S forever. Then the Plaid came along. But with UK RHD Plaid being continuously delayed and with the 8 year battery warranty expiring I went for a Raven. So, giving up my opening sunroof, freemium connectivity and free supercharging for:
- proper seats
-adaptive suspension (game changer)
-range and charging speed (no need to stop en route at all for typical UK travel)

Upvote 0