Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping my Model S as she ages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2014 model S which I don’t ever want to get rid of. She has a sunroof, and the nose cone. My question is, has anybody with an original Model S kept the vehicle, replaced the battery pack and everything is fine. I don’t know if she will become computer obsolete like an old laptop. I certainly don’t need any of the bells and whistle‘s on the software updates, just functionality. Anybody?

Just to present an alternate view to the trend in the thread, I had planned to keep a 2014 85 S forever. Then the Plaid came along. But with UK RHD Plaid being continuously delayed and with the 8 year battery warranty expiring I went for a Raven. So, giving up my opening sunroof, freemium connectivity and free supercharging for:
- proper seats
-adaptive suspension (game changer)
-range and charging speed (no need to stop en route at all for typical UK travel)
the seats in my 2014 are awesome, they are comfortable buckets, don't we already have adaptive *sugar* with the air? faster charging would be nice but I'm still never selling since i have free SC.

Upvote 0
Me too! I hope to eventually replace with superior 3rd party packs such as this one:

@wk057, if an owner went cheap and replaced some pack modules with unmatched ones, the bms will shutoff the car unexpectedly when any cells reach 3.1 volts, right? I assume we could monitor individual voltages via ScanMyTesla to learn when the pack will shuts off, like 170 miles for example.

If all cell were top-balanced at 100% 4.2 volts, can we update the screen or bms to calibrate for 170 miles and update the SOC % display? To make driving reliable although degraded.

I saw someone post proof of concept on TMC= supercharging a chevy volt pack, and the Model S instrument cluster displayed 38 miles and a close to full battery icon.
wow can you imagine if \they can make it work with older model s like my 2017/18 model.....that would be killer and i would rather pay 30k for that then a new car.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Upvote 0
2013 s P85 with over 130k miles. I'm pretty handy and plan to keep my car on the road as long as I can. I just purchased the extended warranty from @wk057 and I am interested in performing some retrofits as I can afford them: AP1 (mostly for ACC), Rear Heated Seats, MCU2 (or whatever alternative @wk057 comes up with), etc. If my battery keeps going, I may be tempted to just do an upgrade to a 90 or something that allows for faster Supercharging.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that my wife has a 2016 X 75D that she is also extremely happy with, especially since there aren't a lot of 7-seater EVs out there. Luckily, her car came with the 4 year used car warranty from Tesla (the last month before they did away with them) and is loaded with all the goodies that she will ever need, though she wants the MCU2 upgrade soon and I would like to put a larger battery (like a 90 or even 100) in her car eventually. Both of our cars have free Supercharging and Premium Connectivity for life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the seats in my 2014 are awesome, they are comfortable buckets, don't we already have adaptive *sugar* with the air? faster charging would be nice but I'm still never selling since i have free SC.
2014 seats may be comfy but they are really unsupportive. I rarely drive on straight roads and I roll around in them.(5’11” 180lbs). Air suspension alternately wafts and crashes over bumpy roads. The new adaptive dampers do good job of smoothing over bumps and maintain a controlled and level ride - and can be tweaked to be sporty as well. Of course, none of this matters if you just drive on smooth, straight roads.

Upvote 0