TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Keeping passenger comfortable while driver steps out

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by SamGarber, Nov 18, 2013.

1. SamGarber

SamGarber S85 "Whale Shark"

Has anyone come up with a way to keep the heat/seat warmer sand radio on while the drivers steps out for say a cup of coffee or to get takeout and the passenger in front seat stays? As winter approaches the keeping of the door cracked open is becoming unacceptable especially when that passenger is the significant other who is very sensitive to cold drafts... She even carries the second fob, but that doesn't seem to help. As soon as my butt leaves the drivers seat and door is closed, Total power down.

2. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

Once the driver gets out and things turn off just tap the touchscreen, everything turns back on.

3. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

If they even touch the 17" display with the fob in the car everything turns back on. This is what I normally do when my wife is in the car and I need to get cash from an ATM, or grab takeout.

You can also put the car in neutral, the pop the parking brake. That should keep everything on as well. And leave the fob in the car.

4. SamGarber

Awesome guys - will try this out. As they say - happy wife, happy life!

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

+1 on tapping the touchscreen. Do this all the time.

6. donv

donv Member

Neutral / Parking Brake is what I do.

7. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

You can also just keep the door closed only to the first catch. That will leave everything on inside.

8. SamGarber

Haha - I tried this. Wife feels the draft of air apparently. I like the touchscreen and neutral/park solution. Will try that one.

9. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Works in California :cool:

10. SteveH

SteveH Member

Thanks all. Had no idea this worked. Been getting out of the car and then turning the climate control on with the phone app. Kind of a hassle and once I got distracted before getting to that screen. Results in a very unhappy wife on a hot day.

11. RoverS

RoverS Banned

by far the most egregious #whitepeopleproblems i have ever seen.

and i looove white people. what with your "camping" and such...

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I would say just about all the "problems" reported on these forums fall into that category ;-)

13. Cal1

Cal1 Member

Ah young grasshopper, you must be careful least you offend the small number of "those who race must not be referred to". While these minor complants seem trivial to true street warriors, born and raised on the tundra one must make allowances to lesser gods.

Political intrepetation: Watch out, young brother, you're gonna offend someone.

14. RoverS

RoverS Banned

did you just call me "brother"?

15. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I'd remind that we should refrain from jokes about race, religion etc. while some parties may feel comfortable, we have to remember we are in mixed company.

16. KenEE

KenEE P1937 Reward Excellence!

I think this is one of the sloppiest oversight/bugs in the car! My wife and I joke that we need to get Elon a girlfriend so he'll understand how uncool it is for her to be left in the dark!

Any chance it's fixed in 5.8?

17. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

While I agree it is inconvenient that the car momentarily turns off when the driver leaves the car, and someone is still in the car. The current action is the correct one. It really isn't hard at all to tap the giant screen, once the driver steps out. And you want the car turning off when the driver exits the vehicle. I would rather 'inconvience' my passenger with a half second of no music, than once a year when my car doesn't actually turn off when I leave it.

18. KenEE

KenEE P1937 Reward Excellence!

I'm talking about when I open the door for my wife - beautiful music playing - elegant interior lighting - oh so perfect - she feels so special and pampered - then WHAM! in the lonely dark while I walk around to the drivers side. Sloppy whether you want to make excuses or not.

19. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Exactly! The car doesn't know she's there. It could look at the weight sensor used to control the air bag, but that isn't 100% reliable. What if you tossed your heavy briefcase on the seat?

I'd prefer to have the car switch off when I get out. This is the correct action.

Some things just can't be solved by technology. The car can't read your mind. It doesn't know for sure whether anyone is still in the car. It needs to shut down when the driver gets out.

20. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Just to be clear. And yes, I'm a little embarrassed that I hadn't figured this out yet. When I leave the car if I'm using the screen tapping option, can I take the FOB with me? Or, do I have to leave it in the car for the person who is left tapping the screen?