Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping passenger comfortable while driver steps out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...I'd prefer to have the car switch off when I get out...

Ah, but what would your wife/date prefer?

Some things just can't be solved by technology. The car can't read your mind. It doesn't know for sure whether anyone is still in the car. It needs to shut down when the driver gets out.

Ah, if only someone could invent something like a delay timer... Crazy talk I know. By the time they invent delay timers we'll be using transporters instead of cars :)

99.9% of the time I travel alone and all of this is a non-issue, but there are times when I think a traditional ON/OFF switch or button wouldn't have been such a bad thing. Simple, effective and you don't need a bunch of sensors and software algorithms to figure out what's going on.

A screen button named "Keep-alive" could fix all of this. Just press it before you leave the car, and it will stay on until you get back. Perhaps with a 30 minute timer to ensure that the car shuts down eventually. When you get back to the car the setting should reset.

Tapping the screen to keep passenger comfortable and entertained should be in the manual - a very useful feature. My son discovered another approach to achieve the same result: after I exit with the key, he pushes down on the driver seat momentarily (activating the driver present sensor). While it is not as elegant as touching the screen, it somehow works.

A screen button named "Keep-alive" could fix all of this. Just press it before you leave the car, and it will stay on until you get back. Perhaps with a 30 minute timer to ensure that the car shuts down eventually. When you get back to the car the setting should reset.

I know this is an old thread, but someone else revived it... :) What the car needs is the equivalent to the Mercedes "REST" button, but maybe for more then just the climate control. I miss that button dearly. Keep-alive is basically it. Give us a few buttons on the screen for 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 60 minutes as we're in Park.

-m