Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping power on when parked, and not in driver seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are you trying to use? Keep the air or heat on? The easiest way is to just keep a door open a crack. Alternatively, the "remote S" app has a camping mode which will keep the HVAC on.

just hanging out in the back seat and stuff... I did notice when I had all doors open, it never powered off
You can keep the driver's door ajar, or, use your app to keep AC on, or you can also shift to N, apply parking brake from the center console, then get out. These methods will give you about 30 minutes until shutdown.

Remote S seems to be able to keep turning on AC every 30 minutes like camp mode.

Any tips on this? I place a bag in the driver seat so that it senses the weight, but that only gives about 15 minutes before everything shuts off.

I need to listen to the stereo when I wash my car so this is what I do:

Go to your 17" screen and push on the red Emergency Brake button (not the physical brake, but the one on the 17" display).

MG_3106.jpg

That would put your car in Neutral gear, brakes and keep the car on permanently without a need for a driver until your battery runs out.

Last edited:
They added like last Nov/Dec in the software update a fix for this somewhat. I believe as long as weight in the passenger seat for sure, and potentially back seats (not sure) are present, the power and A/C will remain on now, I believe with a 30 minute limit or so though.

They added like last Nov/Dec in the software update a fix for this somewhat. I believe as long as weight in the passenger seat for sure, and potentially back seats (not sure) are present, the power and A/C will remain on now, I believe with a 30 minute limit or so though.
I remember getting that update in December. Before that, I would have to tap on the screen to wake things up after the driver left. After the update, things would stay on.

just hanging out in the back seat and stuff... I did notice when I had all doors open, it never powered off

If you're just sitting there for a bit, the easiest is what you did - keep a door slightly open or just tap the center screen once every 30 minutes. If you're going to sleep in the car, the next best method is putting the car into neutral and turning on the parking brake. The problem with this solution is that you can't charge the car at the same time. If you want to sleep in the car with HVAC on and charge at the same time, the best method is to use the "Remote S" app (developed by Alan who is on here - great guy) which has an option called "camper mode" which will sent the "HVAC ON" command to the car every 30 minutes. The only downside is you have to leave the app running in the foreground, but that hasn't been a problem for me because I'm sleeping.

Last edited:
I've done this on the Model 3. To keep everything on while no one in the driver seat:
1) leave phone key inside car
2) sit anywhere in the car where you want to sit
3) use a stick or if you have long hands, press the brake pedal

Then everything should be turned on without anyone sitting on the driver seat.

What are you trying to use? Keep the air or heat on? The easiest way is to just keep a door open a crack. Alternatively, the "remote S" app has a camping mode which will keep the HVAC on.
It's pretty simple....if I have my wife or other family members in the car and I want to park and run onto a store for a couple of things, I should be able to leave the radio, ac, etc on for the passengers. Why should that be hard?