TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Keeping power on when parked, and not in driver seat

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Koolaidio, Mar 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Koolaidio

Koolaidio New Member

Any tips on this? I place a bag in the driver seat so that it senses the weight, but that only gives about 15 minutes before everything shuts off.

2. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

What are you trying to use? Keep the air or heat on? The easiest way is to just keep a door open a crack. Alternatively, the "remote S" app has a camping mode which will keep the HVAC on.

3. JoeZ

JoeZ Member

I am not sure about Tesla, but on my BMW i3 the power will stay on as long as you don't open the driver's door. So exiting your car from the passenger side will do the trick.

4. Koolaidio

Koolaidio New Member

just hanging out in the back seat and stuff... I did notice when I had all doors open, it never powered off

5. sgmorton

sgmorton Member

I think you can do something like long press Park to engage the parking brake. Then from the screen you put it in neutral or tow mode? Maybe? I think this will keep the power on until you take it out of tow mode.

6. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Supporting Member

You can keep the driver's door ajar, or, use your app to keep AC on, or you can also shift to N, apply parking brake from the center console, then get out. These methods will give you about 30 minutes until shutdown.

Remote S seems to be able to keep turning on AC every 30 minutes like camp mode.

7. Tam

Tam Active Member

#7 Tam, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    I need to listen to the stereo when I wash my car so this is what I do:

Go to your 17" screen and push on the red Emergency Brake button (not the physical brake, but the one on the 17" display).

[​IMG]

That would put your car in Neutral gear, brakes and keep the car on permanently without a need for a driver until your battery runs out.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  8. Lbkmxp100d

Lbkmxp100d Member

How do you engage camping mode?

9. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

Try buckling the passengers seat belt. Even without weight in the seat I think that keeps the A/C on for longer than 15 minutes after the driver exits.

10. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Right... just "hanging out". ;) Try leaving the front door open just a sliver if you want to listen to romantic music while you're in the back seat with your significant other! :)

(sorry, couldn't resist!)

• Funny x 1
  11. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

I that case, why would it matter to him if it shuts down after 15 minutes...?

(sorry, couldn't resist either).

• Funny x 2
  12. travwill

travwill Active Member

They added like last Nov/Dec in the software update a fix for this somewhat. I believe as long as weight in the passenger seat for sure, and potentially back seats (not sure) are present, the power and A/C will remain on now, I believe with a 30 minute limit or so though.

13. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.28 c528869

I remember getting that update in December. Before that, I would have to tap on the screen to wake things up after the driver left. After the update, things would stay on.

14. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

#14 andrewket, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    If you're just sitting there for a bit, the easiest is what you did - keep a door slightly open or just tap the center screen once every 30 minutes. If you're going to sleep in the car, the next best method is putting the car into neutral and turning on the parking brake. The problem with this solution is that you can't charge the car at the same time. If you want to sleep in the car with HVAC on and charge at the same time, the best method is to use the "Remote S" app (developed by Alan who is on here - great guy) which has an option called "camper mode" which will sent the "HVAC ON" command to the car every 30 minutes. The only downside is you have to leave the app running in the foreground, but that hasn't been a problem for me because I'm sleeping.

15. jimmyz80

jimmyz80 Member

Gotta keep the windows from steaming up. Duh! :p

16. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

17. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

Pretty sure if you put it in park, open the door, and press the brake when the door is open that the car will stay on once you close the door. Not sure how long it will stay on, but I've done this before.

18. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

If you sit in the passenger seat, even without anything on the driver seat it seems to stay on for quite a bit. I go there during lunch time all the time and take a nap.