TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

keeping the 12V active when car is "off"

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by brianman, May 4, 2013.

1. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Anybody figure out how to keep the 12V (lighter) accessory active even when the car is powered down? I don't need to do it permanently, just for a few hours because I want to keep a particular device powered without having to tap the 17" touchscreen every few minutes.

2. Babylonfive

Babylonfive Power12

I would wire a 12V line directly to the battery, but then you'd need either a timer or a voltage-detecting 'cutoff' to protect the car in case you leave a device connected for longer than you should.

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Yah, for long-term stuff definitely. I just meant for an afternoon (charging up a laptop at a campground, for example).

4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Brian, only thing I can think of offhand is to leave the door slightly cracked. (Or does the car still go off after a certain amount of time in this case too?

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Probably the safest thing to do (in terms of not draining the 12V battery so much that the car won't start) is to use a jump start kit. Many of those have 12V sockets for accessories.

6. deonb

deonb Active Member

"Neutral" + "Parking Break" + "A/C off" + "Lights off" ?

7. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I was under the impression that the car will keep the 12-volt battery charged from the traction battery unless the traction battery gets dangerously low. Anyone know for sure?

I've got my Blackvue dash cam hard wired to the constant 12V source under the mic grill, and so far no problems.

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It still turns off after 5-15 minutes. (I didn't measure the time.)

- - - Updated - - -

I'll try that next time. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not worried about battery drain for the intended usage here for two reasons: (1) in some cases I'll be near enough to a car plug-in (just not necessarily a 110 plug-in) and (2) Elon's comment about running a laptop for like 3 years or whatever.

9. shady

shady Member

Will it stay on if you have a weight in the driver's seat?

10. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> I've got my Blackvue dash cam hard wired to the constant 12V source under the mic grill, and so far no problems. [markb1]

'Mic grille?? Is this only on TECH PKG cars? Pictures & arrows, please!
    --

11. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I'm not sure if it's a tech package thing. But it's on the ceiling just behind the rear view mirror. There are some good pictures here:

How about a DashCam option? - Page 2