Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping the radio ON when exiting the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I frequently drive around with my kids, or friends, and they will stay in the back seat while I, the driver, run into a store for a minute. How do I lock, and keep the car on with the music playing after I exit the vehicle? This was a piece of cake with all my ICEs with remote start.

TIA!

After you leave the vehicle, if the occupants touch the screen, it will come back on, keeping climate and audio on. Might be hard from the back seat though... Other option is to leave the door just a bit ajar.
I have also heard (but not confirmed myself) that if you tap the brake pedal after you get out of the seat, that that will do it too.

I frequently drive around with my kids, or friends, and they will stay in the back seat while I, the driver, run into a store for a minute. How do I lock, and keep the car on with the music playing after I exit the vehicle? This was a piece of cake with all my ICEs with remote start.

TIA!
Have someone in the car touch the screen after you exit and lock (or better yet, tell them to touch the screen and lock it right away (upper left).

Leaving the radio without passengers: Put in neutral and activate the parking brake, roll down drivers window, exit, do a big stretch and touch the center screen, then click on the auto window up button and get your arm out fast. :)

• Funny
Reactions: daviddfann
Thanks, but good grief this is laborious! They need to pay as much attention to the little things as the cross-continent summoning!

In the Ebrake solution, will locking the car with the fob leave everything alone as well? Touching the screen from outside or the backseat is not a good solution.

... In the Ebrake solution, will locking the car with the fob leave everything alone as well? ...

Yes, I believe it does. HVAC and Media Player stay on only for 30 mins though. Also, you will hear warning beeps in the car when you open the door to leave.

By the way, just a reminder - if you lock the car (manually or by walk away lock), make sure you tell the passengers not to open any door. That will trigger the anti theft alarm.

Yes, I believe it does. HVAC and Media Player stay on only for 30 mins though.
This is true if you touch the screen, however if you use the neutral and parking brake method, instead of putting the vehicle in park, the 30 minute timeout does not apply. Only downside is that you can not use this method while charging, and in areas with mandatory daytime running lights (like Canada), they will remain on while this method is in use.

Reactions: emorog
Wow, how dumb do I feel....???!!!!!

When my wife or kid waits in the car, I've always left them the key, then reach through the driver's window, push the seat sensor, then hit the switch to put the window up. I've never even thought to try tapping the brake, touching the screen, or leaving the car in Neutral with the emergency brake applied.

Now I'm going to have to go out and play with the car a bit. :biggrin:

Thanks to everyone for the great info!

Well if there is anyone at Tesla reading these post to see what the people are asking for seems to be simple coding added into the app.
Some simple ideas:

1 to address this issue of playing the radio outside the car would be to add a radio tab in the Tesla app. I mean really if you can do all you do then this is a simple, nobody thought of idea. quick fix for a whole world of radio playing outside of the car.

2. There should be a way to save the passenger seat setting. To adjust on the screen without having to manually put the seat forward, backward up and down.

Reactions: emorog
Well if there is anyone at Tesla reading these post to see what the people are asking for seems to be simple coding added into the app.
Some simple ideas:

1 to address this issue of playing the radio outside the car would be to add a radio tab in the Tesla app. I mean really if you can do all you do then this is a simple, nobody thought of idea. quick fix for a whole world of radio playing outside of the car.

2. There should be a way to save the passenger seat setting. To adjust on the screen without having to manually put the seat forward, backward up and down.