TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

keeping UMC outside 24/7 ok?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by bhzmark, Mar 10, 2015.

1. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

Jul 21, 2013
    I need a cable that is outside and ready to go all the time. I was going to get a hpwc, which is clearly rated to hang outside all the time. But since i dont need the high amps of the hpwc others have said a Umc should be fine. If I shelter the 14-50 box and plug and the umc brick, is it ok for the cord to hang outside all the time? In the rain and snow and sun? Is it hot? Presumably the brick switches off the downstream cable until it senses it is plugged in?

Any weather or elements reason to prefer the hpwc instead of the umc? Even if it is dialed back to 50 amps?

The umc manual says " Do not use the Mobile Connector when either you, the vehicle or the Mobile Connector is exposed to severe rain, snow, electrical storm or other inclement weather.
    When transporting the Mobile Connector, handle with care and do not subject it to strong force or impact or pull, twist, tangle, drag or step on the Mobile Connector to protect from damage to it or any components.
    Protect the Mobile Connector from moisture, water and foreign objects at all times. If any exist or appear to have damaged or corroded the Mobile Connector, do not use the Mobile Connector."

Thanks for any info.
  2. Kalud

Kalud Member

May 7, 2013
    Montreal, QC
    I imagine that the UMC cord and plug to be the same as on the HPWC so there is no issue there. The UMC "brick" in the other hand should probably be protected a bit I would say. There have been report of water getting inside but it could have been early versions and maybe its fine now.
  3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Mar 8, 2012
    The HPWC has a much thicker cable and is hardwired to the wall, so it's less likely to wander off. What I do is have the UMC mounted near the garage door, but inside. I cut a channel for the cord to go under the garage door. That way only the cable and plug are outside, and both are inside when not in use. If I had to mount the UMC outside, I'd attach a small "house" to the side of the wall so that it wouldn't get rain or direct sun.
  4. JST

JST Active Member

May 23, 2013
    I used the UMC almost exclusively the first year, generally leaving it outside in every weather condition. It worked...though at some point I had to get a new UMC. Probably not related? But I don't know.

I replaced it with a hardwired HPWC and like that solution a lot more. The cable is a lot more robust, and the whole unit feels sturdier--not to mention that it stays drier and less exposed because it's on the wall, as opposed to dragging in the dirt and snow and rain like the UMC.

Honestly, now that the HPWCs are only $750, it seems like an easy call to me.
  5. Paul Carter

Paul Carter Active Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I have mine in a lockable utility box. I've since cut out a place for the cord and hang the connector end outside so I never have to open it. So its safe and secure from the elements. Almost 9 months now and no issues.

umc utility box.jpg