Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping windows open while parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new SR+. I charge to 80% overnight and drive in the morning. This morning after a 21 mile drive the SoC was 70%.
I have pared it in a private parking area in an office but has the full sun. I have silver front windshield shades. But in the past 4 hours the SoC has fallen to 67% in 92F weather. At this rate it might be 63 by late evening.

Can I just keep windows open and let the interior be the same temp as outside at 92F. I am not worried about security but what else can be harmful if I leave the car parked with windows open, maybe 1/3. Can it harm the underlying car.

If no harm, how do I disable climate control while in parked mode.

I have a new SR+. I charge to 80% overnight and drive in the morning. This morning after a 21 mile drive the SoC was 70%.
I have pared it in a private parking area in an office but has the full sun. I have silver front windshield shades. But in the past 4 hours the SoC has fallen to 67% in 92F weather. At this rate it might be 63 by late evening.

Can I just keep windows open and let the interior be the same temp as outside at 92F. I am not worried about security but what else can be harmful if I leave the car parked with windows open, maybe 1/3. Can it harm the underlying car.

turn off cabin protection and/or disable AC for it. disable sentry mode, let the car go to sleep. the end.

yeah you can leave your windows down, same as any other car, but unless you're monitoring your car, trust your work environment, or generally just don't care, why bother?

you could also get some roof shades to add to the shading within the vehicle.

As long as you don't have living things in the car why not just let it get hot (although cracking the windows can't hurt) and remotely turn on the ac 5 minutes before you plan to use the car?
Your problem is that you have climate control turned on when you don't want it. I'm not at my car so can't give you direct instructions but you can turn off ac on the app.

Off the top of my head:
  • Rain
  • Critters (birds, squirrels, etc)
  • Sun (windows provide some UV filtering, windows down == 0% UV filtering)
  • Co-workers playing pranks on you

Other than that, it's all good.

Reactions: rpiotro
Few things:

How often are you checking it? The car while in an ON state consumes quite a bit of power, I've seen estimates on this site around 250W but it could vary.
Is cabin overheat protection on?
Is Sentry on?

On the actual question, there shouldn't be anything wrong with leaving the windows open if you're worried about the obvious things, like nature (bugs, weather) or people.

cabin overheating prevents the interior from reaching 105 usually keeps it around 100. if you keep windows open and its stable at 92 the overheat protection shoudnt kick in, as long as the sun isnt also beating down on it because even with windows open it may still reach higher than ambient outside temps

After reading this I just had an experience where the remote showed my car at 99 -while approaching it while parked outside - it wasn't, quite suprised when I opened the door it was more like 77.
This hasn't happened before usually temp is accurate. Now I've been home for a while with car in garage. Remote is reading that car temp is about 10 degrees higher than it actually is. Don't know if this is a fluke or result of upgrade "enhancement" :(

I've been parking out in the sun the last few days, but never getting more than a few yards from my car. I was tired of getting into a hot car at the end of the day, and would rather not run the AC, so I wanted the windows open. Of course after a few minutes the windows closed. A search brought me to this thread. What worked for me, because of the unusual circumstance, was leaving the driver's door open along with the windows.

If u have a new SR+ chances are it’s an LFP, if so, u should be charging to 100%