Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping your ChargePoint card with your key fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the event I am not the only person that wants to keep their ChargePoint card with their key, but hates putting it on the keychain. If you have a Silicone FobPocket you can cut the card and slide it under the bottom of the key and it isn't going to slide out. The RFID is in the general area of the barcode so just pay attention when cutting if you care about the barcode. The card is easily separated with a razor blade.

IMG_2745.jpg
IMG_2746.jpg
IMG_2747.jpg
IMG_2748.jpg

Last edited:
I've never thought of trimming it to my fobpocket or even attaching it the key ring. I keep mind in a small wallet pullout along with my AAA card and keep that in the hidden pocket of the driver's seat. This is something I could consider.

The Model S no longer has the kangaroo pouch. I guess that means I won't be trading my 60 classic for an autopilot one. Everyone has their priorities.

I though that was only on the 2.0/Next Gen seats. On the 1.5 seats (at least for the cars at the Charlotte store) have the kangaroo pouch on both the driver and passenger side. This may have changed again though for new production.

The android app just lets you locate the charger on the map and press "Start Charging". I don't even carry my card anymore.

The iPhone app does the same, but our parking deck at work prevents even my Model S from getting a cellular signal. I have to walk out of the parking deck to turn on the charger, and at our stations at least, you cannot pull out the charging cord under you authorize at the station.

Be warned that the fob uses low-frequency RFID just like the chargepoint card, so adding the guts so close to the fob could reduce the range or prevent the fob from being detected. It may work without issue, but if you ever have problems don't forget it's in there.

The car sends out the LF signal which the fob detects and then responds to the car on UHF.

Be warned that the fob uses low-frequency RFID just like the chargepoint card, so adding the guts so close to the fob could reduce the range or prevent the fob from being detected. It may work without issue, but if you ever have problems don't forget it's in there.

The car sends out the LF signal which the fob detects and then responds to the car on UHF.

Thanks for the info. I have a 25xxx loaner right now, which already seems to respond slow. So when I get my car back I plan on testing it again.

I just put all of my charging network cards (ChargePoint, EVgo, Blink EV) on a keyring loop, and then attach that to the zipper pull of my Tesla charging cord bag. You need to get that bag from the trunk in order to find the right charging adapter anyways so it's no additional effort and you always know where it is.

Two of those network cards didn't have holes in them and I didn't want to risk punching a hole through its embedded wires, so I just used luggage tags (originally intended to hold a business card) for those cards, and then looped those on the keyring loop.