TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Kelly Blue Book Video, Los Angeles to Vegas

Discussion in 'Model S' started by CapitalistOppressor, Feb 20, 2013.

1. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

2. Bearman

Bearman Member

Unlucky start there but I liked the review, lots of grins :smile:

3. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

This is what the Broder article should have been if didn't have an agenda. It still shows range anxiety but the guy is clear he has never driven one before. His conclusion is that he absolutely loves the car and understood why it won all the awards.

4. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

I think the takeaways here are: One, Tesla's superchargers are acceptable for long range travel, but other chargers aren't; and two, the Model S would have been just fine if they didn't start with such little range because of the nail episode.

I wish they would have made that a little more clear. Otherwise, I really did like it.

5. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

at 11:40 he is going 88 mph. Nice!

And the clip of the Prius passing them at the end of the '58 mph' segment was hysterical.

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Funny video. Sounds like he left the Supercharger early as well at one point but they made it.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, This reminded me. Regarding the NYT drive and Broder's comment about "damaging the battery". Supercharging does not damage the battery! Tesla was quite emphatic about that. If I had one I would have remembered.

Can we add that to the NYT fiblist?

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

That's a big reason to cut the distance between chargers: since charging slows as the battery fills, if you* could short charge consistently it would save time overall.

* You as in "you lucky people".

9. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

The English expression 'harsh but fair' fits. Good, and bad, I really like the review and though it well balanced.

They showed the 'fun' aspects of the car, as well as how driving boringly could extend the range dramatically.

Well done, Kelly Blue Book.

10. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

He was doing something very much ICE related however -- he was treating 0 miles of range as actually empty.

We now know there is an additional reserve, just not one you'd want to count on.

11. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

Pretty sure you are limited on speed and performance when you get below 0. Certainly at 20 rated miles I've heard you get dinged down to 50% power output and the climate control goes into a range mode, and I was suspicious that much of what Broder's defenders pointed to as him trying to conserve power were actually a result of actions the car took as power got low.

I'd love for a high net worth individual who has little regard for her warranty to do some serious testing of range and performance below zero, and then write about it. Actually wanted to create a thread dedicated to it, but it seemed more ethical to just wait until I actually buy the car and can do some careful testing myself, rather than cheer-leading a whole thread dedicated to something so irresponsible :)

12. 100thMonkey

100thMonkey Member

couldn't help wondering why the folks at the tesla service station didn't encourage these guys to top off to make up for lost range? surely they could see this side trip to get the tire fixed would start them off on the wrong foot in terms of SOC.

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

So Tesla is pitching this story all over the place. Risky. Maybe the hand the driver a piece of paper with dos and don't and hypermiling tips for "just in case".

We don't know this guy's speed until the end. My Vegas trip was helped tremendously by drafting big trucks.

It was good, but a nail biter.

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Until they prove otherwise, I now officially consider the NYT as fiction and entertainment. Much like Top Gear.

15. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

There are those that staunchly defend the Top Gear episode as top rate journalism just like the NYT piece though.

I don't understand why they didn't charge at the service station either.

16. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

This part made me laugh... :)

One mistake they made was to not have the Drive Range mode on. You can tell at 9:23 that it does not say "Eco Mode". Granted, I'm not sure how much that actually does for the range...

17. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Interesting tidbit at the end: "We were told that topography-aware projected range software is already in the works." (or words to that effect)

18. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I like the review of the S by KBB. The initial leg of their trip was about having fun with the S and not trying to conserve energy like TM recommends. The overall take away is that the S is a very capable car.

19. AndyM

AndyM Member

Indeed! I heard that, too.

And kudos to KBB... that review was extremely fair and balanced, good plus bad, with a net positive.
    I liked the comparison to a first-gen iPhone: solid performer, with room to improve.

20. rsquared99

rsquared99 Member

#20 rsquared99, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
    There is still a strange non-acceptance of the range issue, even here. You shouldn't find yourself concerned about having the mileage to make it to your next charging location, make an unplanned stop to add charge at a "slow" charger, and then waste part of that hard earned charge giving 700 pounds of butcher an accelleration demonstration! It was fun, but then you go back to worrying if you have enough juice to make it to the next charger again.