Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Kennebunk, ME (I-95 NB and SB service plazas)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are they usable if you are not traveling on the turnpike?

It appears that according to Streetview the answer is no, for Northbound. Although it's possible, there are "authorized vehicles only" signs.

Southbound you'd have to go through the tollbooth, but you could turn into the service area, charge and exit.

(Used the service area, but have been on the Pike when doing it.)

Seems like Tesla would have to have a special arrangement to allow free access to the chargers.

Last edited:
You can get to the superchargers from roads other than the turnpike. Either direction you do need to go through a tollbooth. If using cash you would need to pay the dollar. You might not get charged if to use E-ZPass .

Edit: I will test E-ZPass for both northbound and southbound this week.

Last edited:
An email I just received from the Maine Turnpike Authority:

Good afternoon-

There are electric car charging stations being installed at the Kennebunk Service Plazas. These are being installed by Tesla and there will be 8 charging stations on each side with the capability for more if another vendor steps up. They will be open sometime this summer.

Travel safely,

Rebecca Grover

Public Relations and Outreach Coordinator

Maine Turnpike Authority

getPart

207-482-8122

[email protected]|www.maineturnpike.com

I think the previous comment was about accessing the super chargers from outside the turnpike and not paying the toll. Once the weather is better I will go to both and get pictures. In addition to the super chargers there is battery backup as well. Looks like 4 powerpacks on each side of the turnpike. Making 8 total.
He was commenting on the NJ TP - not Maine. thus my confusion....

Limited access toll-controlled highways with Superchargers behind the tolls. Similar situations, and Tesla made no arrangements with NJTP, and I don't think they will with MTA.

(I figured the "I wouldn't get my hopes up" phrase would give away that I was drawing a parallel)
I’ll test it this week. I have ezpass and will go to the service plazas to take pictures. I won’t enter or exit the plazas from the Maine turnpike. I’ll check my ezpass statement to see if I am charged. I know that if you pay cash you will not be refunded the $1.

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
I was able to stop and get some pictures. Let me know if there is something you want to see that I didn't get. I will also check my EZ-Pass statement to see if I was charged to visit the plaza.

These are from the northbound plaza. It is much farther along then the other side. I think all the electrical is done. I'll keep checking to see when the Tesla lettering is lit up. Within the wooden structure are the electrical connections and the powerpacks.
20180607_183104.jpg
20180607_183115.jpg
20180607_183041.jpg

The southbound side is farther from completion. It looks like they have all the materials to finish the job.
20180607_182526.jpg
20180607_182551.jpg
20180607_182548.jpg