TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Kerb rash / alloy scuff

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by Andrew_SE23, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Andrew_SE23

Andrew_SE23 Member

Model 3, 20" wheels, minor alloy scuff mark. Does anyone have details on either:

i. a product to touch up the wheels that is available in the UK, or
    ii. the official Tesla colour name of the wheels?

2. Beady3647

Beady3647 Member

Sorry can't help, but.................... I would recommend that you get alloygators (or similar) fitted. They are not that expensive compared to the cost of refurb of 'kerbing' etc and will give you peace of mind.

3. SirRob

SirRob Member

These things happen - is living with it not an option? You're in for a long and upsetting car ownership journey if every scuff and chip needs attention. It's all part of the car ownership experience.

• Like x 1
  4. tess19

tess19 Member

Had alloygators before and dont think it is worth bothering. Fitting it is a faf and scratch the alloys (fixed by manufacturer). One of them also came loose and although refitted, coming loose on the motorway always at the back of the mind. Binned them in the end when i changed tires. Just get it fixed every couple years if required.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Rooster6655

Rooster6655 Active Member

Did this with the rear passenger side wheel twice already, I must have taken the corners too quickly, no point getting repaired as it could happen again next week

• Like x 1
  6. Andrew_SE23

Andrew_SE23 Member

Same wheel here. It was driving into a car park where the choice was to scrape the front end or slightly kerb a rear wheel.

I am fine with it, but it made the wife sad ☹️ so thought I’d look to make it a bit better. Thanks to all the heartwarming replies of ‘get over it’.

7. Roy W.

Roy W. Battery running low...

Getting it professionally fixed will cost you about £50. Google “alloy wheel repairs” for your local area.

After having this one fixed I suggest you take out alloy wheel insurance. Mine cost £129 for three years cover, multiple claims up to £1000.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. interbear

interbear Member

Managed to scuff my front passenger side 18 inch wheel on a kerb at the weekend. This a week in to ownership. Suffice to say I swore quite a lot :mad:

• Love x 1
  9. Roy W.

It’s so easy to do. See post #8!

10. RecognitionD

RecognitionD Member

The wife has managed to scuff both rear 18” wheels, not badly, just a few small chips in a small area. I’m not too concerned about the damage visually but want to know if there is a way to protect the bare alloy metal from possible corrosion in this damp climate?

11. navt

navt Member

I'm surrounded by width-restricted roads. Often times I'm more concerned about the metal pillars catching my mirrors but today I heard the sickening sound of alloy meeting kerb. Hankooks provide no protection whatsoever. I'll live with it - just need to smooth it out a bit.

12. Andrew_SE23

Andrew_SE23 Member

Give it ten or so more passes and you won’t be able to tell those original scratches from the sea of pain.

• Like x 1
  13. Chronic

Chronic Member

Honestly scratching your alloys is like scratching the back of your phone or your t-shirts not looking as bright as when you first bought htem, it's just gonna happen.

14. J0hn.r

J0hn.r Member

That's true, but it still hurts..
    It is my biggest worry at the moment while driving the car, 100% attention to pot holes and kerbs. Not really anxious about range or anything else - which tells a good picture I think about the car overall.
    I wouldn't change the 20" to smaller wheels either, they just look too good! and they're surprisingly comfortable.
    With all my care and good intentions, I have managed to scratch most of my previous car alloys. Over time the guard is coming down and it inevitably happens. The only question is, how much time! :)

15. Roy W.