Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kevin Sharpe's decreased Roadster range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kevin, I understand that you feel that you got a below average battery pack so far as diminished capacity over time, but is there no limit to the damage that you're willing to inflict to Tesla to get your way or prove your point? With the amount of resources at your disposal, I would think that your time and energy could really be focused to better things and it quite frankly looks to be bordering on vendetta or that there are some other ulterior motives.

Just as we start asking Roadster owners to provide logs that could help prove my case (or not) you feel the need to start moderating posts... make it difficult if you want but it will not stop the bigger story because it's important to consumers.

Since your case wasn't proven, you shouldn't have undertaken this smear campaign. Also, do you intend to put as much effort into publicly apologizing should the data prove you wrong?

I too have had a disconcerting drop in range this summer after a trip where I range charged 4 times. Covering 415 miles with few if any chargers did not give me many options. Below is my graph of ideal range in STD mode.
Range_Graph.JPG

And below is a zoom on just this summer. The drop happened just after my long drive. The breaks in the line are where I did some range charging.
Range_Graph2.JPG

The new battery pack can't get here soon enough.

Attachments

• Range_Graph.JPG
    Range_Graph.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
I too have had a disconcerting drop in range this summer
The new battery pack can't get here soon enough.

What is the "disconcerting drop in range" you refer to here?
The linear fit seems to show a gradual reduction in range. I would think that nearly any place you zoomed in on (in time), you would see similar multiple mile drops and increases.
On the plots, everything would look a lot less disconcerting if the Ideal Miles axis was zoomed out to show zero to 195 (or 185).

It looks like your car is probably about average or better relative to the PIA survey (I'm guessing since I don't know your miles, but expect at least average, especially since you apparently do some relatively long trips). Are you really already to the point where you would consider buying a new, higher capacity pack?

I think a plot of CAC with ideal miles would show a more accurate representation for dhrivnak's pack regards to range mode charges. I have a very high CAC, 156.11 (today's reading), but my std. mode ideal miles come to 184 when fully charged (and fully balanced). I've seen lower CAC yield higher ideal miles on other Roadsters/packs. Don't know the algorithm of this calculation and would love to know more. However if I had a choice, I'd choose to have a CAC that's higher than a higher ideal miles figure.

What is the "disconcerting drop in range" you refer to here?
The linear fit seems to show a gradual reduction in range. I would think that nearly any place you zoomed in on (in time), you would see similar multiple mile drops and increases.
On the plots, everything would look a lot less disconcerting if the Ideal Miles axis was zoomed out to show zero to 195 (or 185).

It looks like your car is probably about average or better relative to the PIA survey (I'm guessing since I don't know your miles, but expect at least average, especially since you apparently do some relatively long trips). Are you really already to the point where you would consider buying a new, higher capacity pack?

Yes if you look at the first plot since the range mode charges virtually all the days are now below the trend line. The slope with all data shows a loss of -.0041 miles/day or a loss of 1.5 miles/year or 1.5 miles/8000 miles. The second graph shows a loss of -.0293 or 10 miles/year a 6 fold increase.

I live in an area 100 miles from any city. So to drive to a city and back is 200 miles, a range charge. So I either put on less than 20 miles/day or over 200. It is rare I am in-between those numbers. To lose the use of my car to go to Asheville or Knoxville is significant to me.

Although ideal range and CAC correlate pretty strongly, there is a fair amount of variation. The charge below shows standard and range mode ideal miles for the Roadsters that report a CAC value in the Plug In America Roadster battery survey.

4bxYc75.png

Some of the variation is probably due to the difficulty in getting an accurate reading: you have to let the charge complete, then wait 10 minutes for the car to calculate an accurate ideal range, then read it soon before it can drop (especially important for a range mode charge).

Some of the variation is probably due to the difficulty in getting an accurate reading: you have to let the charge complete, then wait 10 minutes for the car to calculate an accurate ideal range, then read it soon before it can drop (especially important for a range mode charge).

Some of the variation also comes from differences in the SOC of the lowest brick, which is another factor besides CAC in the ideal range calculation.

Sounds like exceptional degradation to me. We can't fully control the inclosed operative nature of batteries. They can change and do things a little different regardless of said outcomes and still be considered functional.

To paraphrase dhrivnak:

"I live in an area 90 miles from any WalMart. So to drive to a WalMart and back is 180 miles, a range charge. So I either put on less than 20 miles/day or over 180. It is rare I am in-between those numbers. To lose the use of my car to go to a WalMart is significant to me."

The Roadster is susceptible to change from several different directions. On its horizon now is the coming '400 mile' battery. Fighting this is the slow but steady deterioration of its existing battery. But we should also consider the possibility of geo-political changes like civilization moving toward us: last week while leaving a nearby town I noticed a 100 foot tall WalMart sign near the highway. That can't be right, I didn't see it on the way in and this town has been promised a WM for over 10 years! But there it was, a completed store doing its best to blend into the scenery. Now, instantly, my Roadster is much more useful to me since the 120 mile round trip for weekly shopping is now a routine event. Also there is no mountain range to cross to get there.
--