Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Battery Needs Replacing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought my S85 in 2015 Feb and have not replaced the batteries in both my key fobs since then. For the past 2 weeks I have been getting a warning message "Key Battery Needs Replacing" in my main screen and the drivers instrument panel screen. I replaced both the batteries with new Duracell CR2032 batteries, but I still get the warning message on both the screens. I also did reset both the screens and still I get the message. Any idea what would be the reason? I called Tesla service and they asked me to just swing by and they can fix it.

I've experienced continued messages in other FOBs due to low charges even with supposedly new batteries. Other threads here on TMC have reported the same with MS. I'd think your Duracells should have been OK assuming the expiration date was within reason, but some of the cheapo blister packs (that many times don't show an expiration date anywhere) one can buy on eBay and Amazon can be more problematic.

Other thought is perhaps the battery contacts in your FOB for some reason are not making good contact. I suspect your SC will both replace the battery, then maybe clean those contacts. Will be interesting to see. Please report back!

Last edited:
When i went to Batteries+Plus to buy the new ones, I had them check the voltage on my old ones - they measures around 2.9 which is bad for a 3V battery, but the new ones measures good with 3.2V on them. So definitely the batteries are good. I will keep u all posted after I take my car to the service center. Thx!

funny, i'm have EXACTLY the same thing this week. continual message even after replacing with brand new batteries. If you get any insight or tips, please pass them on.

(by the way, this post should be in the general section... it's not really related to vehicle charging)

Got the message last week but then it went away with the latest firmware upgrades. The message returned yesterday. Today I replaced one battery and the old battery’s voltage was 2.93. Service recommended a lock/unlock cycle using the key (single tip press/double top press) and then a screen reboot (two scroll buttons) but the message did not clear until I powered down the car from the Settings screen. I’ve had the car three months and the build date makes the car about six months old. I would have stopped by a service center but they are not close enough to “stop by”.

Rebooting old thread with the same issue in MArch 2018. Replaced with brand new battery - no change. Used the other key - no change.
Got both keys out of range and unlocked/ started with phone - no change. Still get message on the IDS. Have rebooted main screen and IDS. No joy.

Any new ideas?