Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Battery problem

RichardL

Oct 6, 2013
San Diego, California
A couple of days ago I suddenly got a 'Key Battery Needs Replacing' error message on the screen. Strangely, I got this for both keys on the same day, although mine is used much more frequently than my wife's.

I have changed both batteries for new ones, but I am still getting the same message on both keys - so I am thinking the issue is with the car, rather than the keys? I also got a 'key is not in the car' error a few days prior, on one key.

The replacement batteries were brand new from Amazon and are supposedly genuine, using a recommendation from this board. Is there any way to check if the car has a problem, or do I need to take it in to Service?

GalaxySurfer

Life, The Universe and Everything.
Oct 10, 2018
Oregon
This topic peaked my intrest, my model x is only literally almost 2 months old, and on one keyfob specific i get the message key not in car from time to time. But it does always eventually detect it.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC