Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Card - Drivers Side only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just want to do a sanity check. Can you only get your key card to unlock the drivers side? For all intents and purposes my phone app doesn't work, so I rely on the key card 90% of the time, which has thus far only opened the drivers side. Is this by design or do I have a flaw?

Yes, driver side only. Since I use the card exclusively as my key, my GF and I laugh about it and proclaim that "Chivalry is dead with the Model 3". :)

That or its an excuse to get a quick bit of exercise in...
- Jog ahead and open door by tapping driver side B pillar
- After unlock jog around to passenger side quick enough to beat your other half
- After chivalry achievement unlocked jog back around to the driver side and hop in

+1000 bonus points if you can do it fast enough to get in the driver seat and put it in gear fast enough to not need to scan the card on the center console :p

I have an Android phone. The phone as key works about 50/50. It will go in spurts where it won't work for a few days and then it works well. Then it stops working again. I've tried lots of stuff with the phone, but to no avail. So the card key is my primary key now and it works great. I have it wedged in between two company badge photos in a plastic case on a lanyard, so its always within reach as my daily driver.

I'm sure that someday the phone software will get better, so I'm not worried about it. There's also the issue about the car locking and unlocking way too much in the garage when I'm moving around it with my phone bluetooth turned on (when it is working). So I use the card key for now and will check back in with the phone software later...

I have an Android phone. The phone as key works about 50/50. It will go in spurts where it won't work for a few days and then it works well. Then it stops working again. I've tried lots of stuff with the phone, but to no avail. So the card key is my primary key now and it works great. I have it wedged in between two company badge photos in a plastic case on a lanyard, so its always within reach as my daily driver.

I'm sure that someday the phone software will get better, so I'm not worried about it. There's also the issue about the car locking and unlocking way too much in the garage when I'm moving around it with my phone bluetooth turned on (when it is working). So I use the card key for now and will check back in with the phone software later...
From personal opinion and thoughts do you think the problem is with the car or the phone. Just curious - I think I've heard both Android and iPhone users complaining and we know the software on the car is a long ways from perfect and finished, but I would think this one would be better ironed out since it is about being able to even get in to the car.

From personal opinion and thoughts do you think the problem is with the car or the phone. Just curious - I think I've heard both Android and iPhone users complaining and we know the software on the car is a long ways from perfect and finished, but I would think this one would be better ironed out since it is about being able to even get in to the car.

I don't know what the issue is, but the symptom from the phone side is that it just doesn't open the car half the time as I approach. The status in the app is "disconnected" when I've pulled out my phone and checked it. Like I said, I'm not too worried about it, I know it will get fixed. I actually like using the card as the key and don't have to deal with the the car clunking in the garage from the phone app when I walk around. I do wish there was another card reader on the passenger side for the car, though. I'd rather have the car than wait for perfection...

Reactions: robert774