Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key card failed! A lesson to be learned.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I go Scuba diving on the shore with my SO usually turn off the phone and lock my 3 with the key card. I hide the key somewhere while we go dive. This has worked well for 3 years. Well I will have to do something different. The key card failed to unlock the car. Locked the car alright but the card failed to respond after locking . Luckily a Good Samaritan let me use their phone w and I called Tesla Service. I didn’t have Teslas number and the roadside service was not that easy to find on the website. I ended up Googling Tesla road side phone number and finally got it. Was on hold for 15 minutes . They ask some challenge questions but I was asked what month did I buy the car. I could not remember the month and the sticker on the license plate was replaced when I moved the car out of state. I said ask me another question after pleading with her. She finally asked some other questions and finally she unlocked the car. Started trouble shooting . Deleted the bad card and when I tried to set it up again the card failed to be recognized. My wife’s card still works.
so my lesson learned Is to write the Tesla service number on each card and to have a second card or FOB with us and not locked in the car,

Interesting... never considered a key card failing.

Rather than calling roadside assistance, I probably would've installed the Tesla app on the stranger's phone, logged in, unlocked the car, then uninstalled the app. Then just for good measure, I'd change my account password once I got my phone back.
He was reluctant to let me download any apps on his phone. He was a parking lot attendant and was not to tech savvy. Also I did not remember my passwords as I store them all on the phone.

The phone is locked in the trunk . I sometimes put it in airplane mode and not turn it off. Either way if you left the phone running someone could unlock the car by just pulling on the door handles.

I didnt see "I locked my phone in the trunk" in your original post, it just said "turn off my phone". That makes sense, though. I only try my keycard about once a year since phone key has worked for me, but I never have a need to lock my phone in the car like that.

Seems like a good recipe for having one of those key ring things that operate as a key card or something. The keycard has a chip in it, so I can see it eventually getting damaged depending on how its transported, used. Doesnt make it less annoying though.

Just better for m e to use have two keycards hidden or one key card and a FOB. At least write down Teslas number with a silver sharpie on the key card.

Do you mean hidding the cards outside of the car?
I could not think of any location.
Unless maybe using some duck tape under the car?

BTW Tesla roadside phone number USA and Canada is 1-877-79TESLA (1-877-798-3752)

I take my watch off when I dive and lock it oin the car.
Did you know the new Watch Ultra was designed with diving in mind?
1674062673165.jpeg

You can get s strap to wear on the outside of your wetsuit. Has a depth gauge to 40meters, water temp. EN13319 certified. Dive app by Huish.

The WatchforTesla app, and others, now allow you to use Bluetooth to unlock your car and drive. That's pretty new, since it used to require cellular.

Did you know the new Watch Ultra was designed with diving in mind?
You can get s strap to wear on the outside of your wetsuit. Has a depth gauge to 40meters, water temp. EN13319 certified. Dive app by Huish.

The WatchforTesla app, and others, now allow you to use Bluetooth to unlock your car and drive. That's pretty new, since it used to require cellular.
Does this watch can be used for showing lap time when swimming?

Or borrow someone else's phone, install the Tesla app, log in, unlock your car, and then delete the Tesla app on the borrowed phone?
No need to install the app when someone else in the family already has it on their phone. just use the borrowed phone to call or text them. I'm in Virginia, my daughter can unlock or start my Tesla from Florida.