Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key card failed! A lesson to be learned.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. The key card is a back up normally but was the only thing I use while diving. I will have to hide the FOB as well
Given keycard failure is rare, and they are cheap and waterproof, I would carry one keycard in my BCD while diving, another in my wife's, rather than hide them around the car. When I go to a beach or pool where no lockers, the handful of things I'd carry in a surfer (wet) wallet would be a keycard, one credit card (for emergency), and drivers license.

Does this watch can be used for showing lap time when swimming?
Apparently yes since about Watch 3.
Apple Watch Swimming

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
I would not leave my phone exposed like that.

Since everyone is piling on you, I'll jump in, haha. What is the difference between hiding your phone vs hiding the key card? Yes the key card is smaller but hiding the phone shouldn't be too much of a stretch. If someone finds the keycard and gets in your car they hove both your phone and car now.

Since you have a fob, hiding that is probably the next best thing to hide after the keycard though.

I would not leave my phone exposed like that.
By leaving your key card out, you are leaving everything in your car exposed. How many Teslas are there parked near the place you are scuba diving? All someone has to do is pick up the key card and try it on every Tesla in the parking lot. At least a phone can be locked, and if the person who finds it cannot unlock it, at least he or she cannot get into your car (although if the phone dies, you'll be in exactly the same scenario not being able to get in unless you are using both key card and phone). Better idea: bring a waterproof enclosure with you and keep it with you at all times. When I go snorkeling, if it's in an area I have to drive to, I put my phone and keys in a waterproof flotation bag. Obviously that won't work when you are scuba diving but you can use another type of product to protect your items from getting wet.

Yeah, I appreciate you letting us know @Willy3988.

Locking the phone in the car and taking a keycard with you makes total sense to me, since it's slim and waterproof.

One could store the keycard in the "crack" of their wetsuit and probably not even notice, but I wouldn't try that with a phone.
I always assumed key cards just didn't fail and were not affected by being submerged in water but this has me thinking twice. When I snorkel within walking distance of my condo on Maui, I usually carry the key card for the door in my swim trunks, and have never had an issue. Of course since it's a resort there is someone at the front desk 24/7 so if it does ever fail I would be able to go downstairs and get another one.

No need to install the app when someone else in the family already has it on their phone. just use the borrowed phone to call or text them. I'm in Virginia, my daughter can unlock or start my Tesla from Florid
Since everyone is piling on you, I'll jump in, haha. What is the difference between hiding your phone vs hiding the key card? Yes the key card is smaller but hiding the phone shouldn't be too much of a stretch. If someone finds the keycard and gets in your car they hove both your phone and car now.

Since you have a fob, hiding that is probably the next best thing to hide after the keycard though.
Have PIN to drive. They won’t be able to take the car. A key card is a lot easier to hide than a phone.

Reactions: -Amanda and Pricedm