Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key card failed! A lesson to be learned.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given keycard failure is rare, and they are cheap and waterproof, I would carry one keycard in my BCD while diving, another in my wife's, rather than hide them around the car. When I go to a beach or pool where no lockers, the handful of things I'd carry in a surfer (wet) wallet would be a keycard, one credit card (for emergency), and drivers license.
I use to do this but I decided to hide the card since it is a lot easier to retrieve something I left behind In the locked car.m Used to carry in my swim suit pocket and my wetsuit prevents loss. Very safe as losing would be difficult but what a pain to strip everything off . I have considered having a neoprene slim pocket sewn onto the wetsuit and put two key cards in it.

Have PIN to drive. They won’t be able to take the car.
But they can take the stuff inside the car, including your phone.

And BTW, if you have heavy fingerprints on the display on the areas underneath where the numbers for your PIN are such that people can figure out which 4 numbers you are using, the number of possible permutations can be reduced to 4!=24.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
And BTW, if you have heavy fingerprints on the display on the areas underneath where the numbers for your PIN are such that people can figure out which 4 numbers you are using, the number of possible permutations can be reduced to 4!=24.

While this is true, I think one who leaves heavy fingerprints for PIN to drive will have heavy fingerprints and streaks all over. The PIN to drive windows shifts around each time so that it's harder to see those patterns.

Does anyone know if the keycard "normally" survives diving.

I know the keycard "normally" survives water. I doubt it tolerates much bending. However, I don't know how it reacts to pressure.

Personally, when kayaking (White Water, Surfing, Rolling Practice), I wear the ring, carry a key card with me, have pin to drive set, and leave the phone in the car either off, or locked with Bluetooth off. I don't protect either the ring or the card from the water. However, I have not taken the ring or a keycard diving yet.

This has become an inquisition on the OP for his actions leading to getting locked out. Folks are missing the point - the key card can fail. Thanks for sharing the experience so we all are mindful
People are not piling on me. All good suggestions but I just have to use two keycards and will carry them on me. While we go under.

I wonder if the card had a defect. This is what they look like inside:

lH3gkFF - Imgur.jpg

Does anyone know if the keycard "normally" survives diving.

I know the keycard "normally" survives water. I doubt it tolerates much bending. However, I don't know how it reacts to pressure.

Personally, when kayaking (White Water, Surfing, Rolling Practice), I wear the ring, carry a key card with me, have pin to drive set, and leave the phone in the car either off, or locked with Bluetooth off. I don't protect either the ring or the card from the water. However, I have not taken the ring or a keycard diving yet.
I suspect a stress fracture in the plastic that eventually progressed to the point where it reached the wiring or the chip and let water get in.
No defect that I cam see . No bends or cracks. It’s a mystery.

walking around a rougher neighborhood lately i was thinking about somebody shoving a gun in my face. They would almost certainly demand my wallet, my phone, and my apple watch, and all my back-ups would be for naught. They probably wouldn’t want a plastic ring, but then again I wouldn’t want to be wearing that around all the time either…

Get a key fob. It's far less likely to be destroyed by bending because it's surrounded by rigid plastic, and it contains a RFID chip and can be tapped on the "B" pillars to enter the car and on the center console to drive just like a key card, even if the transmitter breaks or the battery dies.
I have a Fob but locked it in the car. Will need to hide a FOB and a Key card or just two key cards,

walking around a rougher neighborhood lately i was thinking about somebody shoving a gun in my face. They would almost certainly demand my wallet, my phone, and my apple watch, and all my back-ups would be for naught. They probably wouldn’t want a plastic ring, but then again I wouldn’t want to be wearing that around all the time either…
If you plan to walk in a "rough" neighborhood, maybe you should have a backup strategy? ;)

Which brand?
I purchased a wood ring from cnick® - Tesla Key Ring I must say their customer service was excellent. I went to a local jewelry store to measure my finger, and the size 11 test ring fit nicely. When the wider CNICK ring arrived, I found that it was uncomfortably tight. CNICK exchanged it at no cost for an 11.5 ring.

I basically never took that ring off for 9 months. Though checking their FAQ today, it does suggest not using it for weight lifting, I did. Not wearing it while washing dishes, I did. The finish on the edges of the ring had also become a bit worn, and refreshing the finish had been on my todo list for a few months.

I really liked that ring. I wore it on my right hand's ring finger, and just dropping my hand down would satisfy the MY's prompt to place a key card on the center console. It was also great for locking and unlocking the door when going kayaking. Not to mention saving me from pulling out my wallet to get the Tesla card whenever my phone didn't feel like connecting with the Tesla. I have since learned that Bluetooth signals will NOT pass through a human body, so don't expect a phone in your back pocket to unlock the car reliably.

If you have or are considering a key ring, you might also want to read CNICK Tesla Ring wearers might be interested in this, especially if frustrated.

• Informative
Reactions: Jmen and KenC