Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key card failed! A lesson to be learned.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have since learned that Bluetooth signals will NOT pass through a human body, so don't expect a phone in your back pocket to unlock the car reliably.
Nitpick, but actually the Bluetooth signal still passes through your body (you can verify by the audio still working if you leave driver door open). The issue is that Tesla uses signal strength to do proximity detection (to avoid cases where bad actors unlock your car when you are still far away), and your phone being in your back pocket is enough to drop the strength enough that it thinks it is further away than it actually is. Some people switch where they put their phone, or they aim their butt toward the car when approaching to address this.

I purchased a wood ring from cnick® - Tesla Key Ring I must say their customer service was excellent. I went to a local jewelry store to measure my finger, and the size 11 test ring fit nicely. When the wider CNICK ring arrived, I found that it was uncomfortably tight. CNICK exchanged it at no cost for an 11.5 ring.

I basically never took that ring off for 9 months. Though checking their FAQ today, it does suggest not using it for weight lifting, I did. Not wearing it while washing dishes, I did. The finish on the edges of the ring had also become a bit worn, and refreshing the finish had been on my todo list for a few months.

I really liked that ring. I wore it on my right hand's ring finger, and just dropping my hand down would satisfy the MY's prompt to place a key card on the center console. It was also great for locking and unlocking the door when going kayaking. Not to mention saving me from pulling out my wallet to get the Tesla card whenever my phone didn't feel like connecting with the Tesla. I have since learned that Bluetooth signals will NOT pass through a human body, so don't expect a phone in your back pocket to unlock the car reliably.

If you have or are considering a key ring, you might also want to read CNICK Tesla Ring wearers might be interested in this, especially if frustrated.
Thanks for all that. I have long been interested in the Cnick, but I just didn't want to wear a ring. Just this past month I did get a Colmo watch strap, that must have a RFID chip and antenna imbedded, since I do wear a watch.Amazon.com: COLMO Model 3 Smart Watchband Accessory for Tesla Model 3 Key Card Key Fob Replacement Silica Gel RFID Smart Watchband Support Customization Fast Priority Delivery Worldwide (Large Yellow) : Electronics

Ironically my Ring has failed after about 9 months of constant wear, including swimming, kayaking, weight lifting, etc.
Addendum, cnick says they have a one year warranty on the rings and will replace my ring for $20 shipping.
They also assert "that when properly taken care of, our rings can last for many years, even with daily wear."
I think I violated their FAQ care instructions.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Why not consider a ring key? To solve these problems, Tesery offers this key ring that can replace a key fob or key card. You can carry it with you into your Tesla and it is suitable for any occasion.This Tesla ring key is a great accessory to replace your Tesla key fob/card or phone. Compared to the phone, your smart key ring requires no charging and no batteries
You can click the link to view more

Pic show
1679301300723.png

Why not consider a ring key? To solve these problems, Tesery offers this key ring that can replace a key fob or key card. You can carry it with you into your Tesla and it is suitable for any occasion.This Tesla ring key is a great accessory to replace your Tesla key fob/card or phone. Compared to the phone, your smart key ring requires no charging and no batteries
You can click the link to view more

Pic show
View attachment 919417
Don’t like to wear jewelry of any kind. Also the ring can fail as well.

A bracelet would be nicer than a ring in my opinion.
I got a watchband with a Tesla RFID chip inside.
Amazon.com: COLMO Model 3 Smart Watchband Accessory for Tesla Model 3 Key Card Key Fob Replacement Silica Gel RFID Smart Watchband Support Customization Fast Priority Delivery Worldwide (Large Yellow) : Electronics
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09FFC3B3W?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Note
41SSB6uYsNL._AC_.jpg

Someone else posted a link to a similar smart wristband, that actually looks nicer, but you'll have to search for that thread. It was a Tesla specialty shop, not Amazon selling them.