Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Card in wallet ok ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I store my card key in my wallet with the credit cards. Last week I found out it didn't work, not sensing anything. Then re-activated it with the my wife's so basically I treated it like a new one. My question is what happened to the card key? Did it cause by the credit credit card magnetic stripes? It was stored in wallet for months. Just wandering if others have the same experience?

I keep mine in my wallet with a few credit cards. I have never had an issue using it over the last 4 years. I only need to use it every 4-6 months or so but it has never not worked. That said you need to make sure you are putting it in the right places as it is very location sensitive. If you are off by a few inches the car will not wake up.

Last edited:
But if you lose your iPhone you lose your key card.
I do have a fob that I use about half the time, and an extra set of key cards that are programmed to the car. My wife also carries one in her purse. So I'm pretty well covered. As an extra precaution (which I don't do,) would be to have one of my son's download the app to his phone and authorize me to drive the car without a key card.

Reactions: Mike_TV