Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Card in Wallet Phone Case

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an odd question for everyone,

I have a wallet case for my iPhone like I’m sure some of you also have. I would like to put my Model 3 key card in the case once I take delivery in about a month.

My question is, can I wirelessly charge my phone with the key card in the case? I ask this because apparently the wireless charger demagnetizes credit cards, but I’m not sure about the Tesla key card.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• FAE57669-CB2E-4A49-8D69-DA71072277A9.jpeg
    FAE57669-CB2E-4A49-8D69-DA71072277A9.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 196
I have an odd question for everyone,

I have a wallet case for my iPhone like I’m sure some of you also have. I would like to put my Model 3 key card in the case once I take delivery in about a month.

My question is, can I wirelessly charge my phone with the key card in the case? I ask this because apparently the wireless charger demagnetizes credit cards, but I’m not sure about the Tesla key card.

Thanks in advance!
The Tesla key has an embedded chip, not a magnetic stripe. Should be fine.

This doesn’t seem like a good idea to me. The whole idea of having the key card on you is so you have a backup in case you cannot use your phone to access your Model 3. If your phone is lost or stolen with your key card inside of the phone case then you’re screwed.

That’s a good point. I’ve had an iPhone since the first day they went on sale in 2007 and have never lost or had it stolen, but you’re right, with the stakes higher now being a car key, it might be best to separate them.

The minimalist in me really wants to combine my phone and wallet and keys all in the same place though aka my phone :D Decisions...

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I am having the same dilemma!!! I have an iPhone 7+ which does not have wireless charging but I was able to purchase a case to convert it over to wireless charging. I plan on installing a wireless pad into the center console. But I don't know where to carry the "key".

Hi Everyone,

My phone - LG V30 (Neo Hybrid case); wife's phone Samsung S7 (OttoBox case)

Phone key works perfectly for her. For me, it works less than 1% of the time. After several attempts, the door would open; I think the BLE is slow to wake up and/or weak signal. Once I sit in the driver seat, the phone is in my left pants pocket; about 50% of the time, the phone is not detected by the center console so I can't take the car out of the park gear.

I had other issues with the V30 (low GPS), so I did a warranty exchange. AT&T sent out two phones because the first one was delayed by DHL. I loaded the same apps into the two new phones and tested them. The first phone worked 100% of the time. The second phone had a few failed attempts but still over 90%-95% of the time.

As have been mentioned by other posts, there is a lot going on inside your phone; including how many apps are open, which apps are active and which are swapped out and have to be restart. My test was not scientific but in my opinion, each phone behaves differently.

What support my opinion is that this is my third warranty replacements
1 - First phone - GPS weak. I get lost in Washington DC because the phone can't get signal. It was within 30 days, so they sent me a new phone
2 - Second phone (new) had Bluetooth connectivity issue. When it gets confused with Bluetooth connectivity, the phone reboots
3 - Third phone (Refurb). Screen color was not even. Also, have the issue with weak GPS
4 - Fourth phone (Refurb). Phone randomly reboots itself about once a day. Bluetooth sound drops out and the connection to my Samsung Gear S3 watch keeps coming in and out.

Phone 1 - 3: Android Nougat
Phone 4 - Oreo 8.0

Not sure how much of it is Android versus phone hardware; reliability doesn't seem to be there. I love the phone and Android in general, but I never had to deal with these kinds of quality issues during my iPhone 3 - iPhone 6 days.