Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key card not needed by Tesla SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just dropped my M3 off at the Service centre and I'd always thought they needed my key card but the attendant said to keep it as they don't need it on the newer cars.
Is this new and has anyone else had the same.

I'd be very upset if I get a call and have to go back or if this delays works as I've waited almost 2 months for this appointment.

Mine went in last week and they needed the key card and my P2D, as well as telling me to take it out of valet mode. I collected my car at the end of September.

I picked up beginning of September.
Very confusing. He did say I had to take off the P2D and Pin for glove-box in case they needed access but definitely did not need my key card.
Been waiting for my phone to ring regarding not leaving my key card but nothing yet.

Well I dropped off at 8:50am and haven't received a call.

It would make sense that they don't need the card considering they can unlock and remote start it if you needed them to.

They've probably never really needed it but just ask for it so we feel safer. Maybe they're past the pretence now. :D

• Funny
Reactions: navt
Just dropped my M3 off at the Service centre and I'd always thought they needed my key card but the attendant said to keep it as they don't need it on the newer cars.
Is this new and has anyone else had the same.

I'd be very upset if I get a call and have to go back or if this delays works as I've waited almost 2 months for this appointment.

They don't need it.

Once they put the car into service mode (should happen almost as soon as you drop it off, if not while you're still talking to them) you're locked out.

I had a ranger come out in June. I parked at the local library carpark so he had more space, rather than on the street. I gave him permission to open the car remotely, so no key card required or contact. I then just walked around once he was finished and gone.

Service mode gives them a lot of access and restricted access - on one visit ours had been inadvertently left turned on when we went to drive off.

They certainly can lock (and I believe unlock) the car with key card inside and a ranger can access the car remotely (with your permission). But I think it just makes things easier with the key card/phone access eg no need to keep remote accessing the car if just wanting to move it around or it locks on them.

Ranger was certainly thankful he didn't need to remote access when doing a few minor jobs that required items eg wipers to be run but if I hadn't been there is would have all been accomplished fully contactless without my phone or keycard.

• Informative
Reactions: Godsense
I took my white/white M3LR to Gatwick Service today to sort out an error message on screen.
They asked me in advance to turn off pin-to-drive.
I took one of my keycards and stuck a label on it with the registration number and my email address and was asked for the card when I went in their showroom to wait.
My App showed "Service" shortly after parking it - it doesn't work at all now.
Got a black/black Model S as a loan car - don't like it and its too big to fit in my driveway (without scratching!)

I took my white/white M3LR to Gatwick Service today to sort out an error message on screen.
They asked me in advance to turn off pin-to-drive.
I took one of my keycards and stuck a label on it with the registration number and my email address and was asked for the card when I went in their showroom to wait.
My App showed "Service" shortly after parking it - it doesn't work at all now.
Got a black/black Model S as a loan car - don't like it and its too big to fit in my driveway (without scratching!)

I got Uber credits. My app also shows service and I got a text message towards the end of the day saying the technician was still working on my car and would be in touch with more information later.

Yup service mode pretty much disables everything, including Sentry.

Kinda wish it didn’t because my car inexplicably picked up a scuff on the door - the only mark on it, so messes with my zen - the last time it went to a SC. Ordinarily I’d think maybe it could’ve happened in a car park, even though I don’t do much driving, except this scuff was touched up. I only noticed it because the water beaded off the car slightly differently (ceramic coat)...

Don’t think a random person in a random car park would’ve had my specific paint handy somehow.

Obviously can’t prove it, and too much time has elapsed since it went in. Lesson learnt though - go over the car with a fine tooth comb wherever I have to drop it off.

If Sentry had worked while it was being worked on I would have had irrefutable proof...

Yup service mode pretty much disables everything, including Sentry.

Kinda wish it didn’t because my car inexplicably picked up a scuff on the door - the only mark on it, so messes with my zen - the last time it went to a SC. Ordinarily I’d think maybe it could’ve happened in a car park, even though I don’t do much driving, except this scuff was touched up. I only noticed it because the water beaded off the car slightly differently (ceramic coat)...

Don’t think a random person in a random car park would’ve had my specific paint handy somehow.

Obviously can’t prove it, and too much time has elapsed since it went in. Lesson learnt though - go over the car with a fine tooth comb wherever I have to drop it off.

If Sentry had worked while it was being worked on I would have had irrefutable proof...

pretty sure they would wipe the sentry footage before handing car back, even if it did operate during service mode

Service mode is stop owners playing around with the car when in the workshop. It was explained to me as a safety precaution because they had found people were honking the horn, playing with windows and doing other things remotely whilst work was being undertaken. At the wrong time this could easily cause an accident.

Service mode is stop owners playing around with the car when in the workshop. It was explained to me as a safety precaution because they had found people were honking the horn, playing with windows and doing other things remotely whilst work was being undertaken. At the wrong time this could easily cause an accident.

Yep that what I suspected it was for, otherwise you'd have annoyed and/or bored owners causing chaos. Also reduces acceleration force etc so they don't shoot off the ramps and into the street o_O

It also introduces restrictions on what the car can do such speed limits etc.

Sentry isn’t always disabled - often service centre just physically pull the plug. I’ve also got footage of car being worked on in a service centre - let’s just say, it wasn’t Covid Secure in there.