Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Card(s) Not Working to Unlock Car

f308gt4

May 21, 2020
SoCal
This is weird. Happening with both key cards that I have.

Both keys are listed as active on the system. To test this, I tried to delete the second key card, and it asked me to tap the first key card on console and it worked. I was then able to add the second card again, tapping the first card on the console. But both key cards still won’t work to unlock the door.

The reason I noticed this is the app has been flakey lately. I’ve been having to take my phone out of my pocket to unlock, which I’ve never had to do before. So I tried the key card today, and it didnt work.

Tried a two button reset (twice) and a power off after the second reset. Key cards still won’t unlock the doors.

I also have a key fob, and that works. But, I usually use my phone as a key and the key card as a backup. My wife is the only one that uses the key fob.

Software is 2021.4.18.2

I‘m at my wits end. Can’t figure out whats happening.

f308gt4

May 21, 2020
SoCal
Resolved!

My appt with Tesla mobile service was for tomorrow, but I got a call today from the service guy saying he saw some version mismatches in my firmware, so he pushed an update to my car. Interestingly, it’s the same version, 2021.4.18.2. I installed the update, and now the key cards work again. I’m a happy camper.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Resolved!

My appt with Tesla mobile service was for tomorrow, but I got a call today from the service guy saying he saw some version mismatches in my firmware, so he pushed an update to my car. Interestingly, it’s the same version, 2021.4.18.2. I installed the update, and now the key cards work again. I’m a happy camper.

Thanks for circling back. I didnt respond to this thread at the beginning as I had zero clue what it could be (you tried all the troubleshooting I would have recommended). I was checking in on it because I was wondering what it might be. Thanks again for sharing the resolution.

Reactions: f308gt4

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC