Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key card storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to only use my phone key and not carry the key card also. But, I need something to give to the valet when needed. Is it safe to leave the key card in the glove box? I believe the glove box locks when the car is locked. So if someone breaks into the car it will still be locked and they can’t get to it. What do you guys think?

thanks you guys just posted and answered what i was going to ask.
i'm still waiting and fixating on my beast.
i was thinking of getting extra key cards, the key card ring, etc. - because i'm a nervous guy :)
i was thinking about a key card and a holder - for valet purposes, or when i leave the car at the airport, etc. and leave the card in the glove box.
do you know if i can set up a card to be more "crippled" than another, i.e. 1 card might be my usual backup card that i keep in my wallet, and the other can be for the valet.
can I assign permissions to cards, or would i have to activate valet, speed limitations, etc. in the panel?
thanks!

I sometimes leave mine in the glove box, but you could easily hide it in the frunk or hatch if you are really worried about it. Few people steal Teslas, and those who try are usually either real pro's or real idiot's. The pro's don't break into cars hoping for a hidden card, the idiots don't know that you could do that. Plus if they steal it using the card, it would easily be tracked.

Is the cardkey a proximity key, like a phone, or does it have to be sitting on the front wireless charger to drive? All the photos I’ve seen show the card and even the fob sitting on the wireless charger.