Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key card thefts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know... all I wanted out of this post was basic information on what's hackable and what's not, how, and potential solutions for anything that is an issue. Sadly I've failed to get any of that. :(

A solution for the FOB is that $10 sleeve from Amazon, but I'm no closer to figuring out anything regarding the Bluetooth.

For bluetooth, turn off bluetooth on your phone when you don't want to use it as a key. There's no good passive countermeasure there because if you put your phone in a anti-RF sleeve, you won't be able to use it or receive calls/texts.

For bluetooth, turn off bluetooth on your phone when you don't want to use it as a key. There's no good passive countermeasure there because if you put your phone in a anti-RF sleeve, you won't be able to use it or receive calls/texts.

perfect, thanks. Leads to my next question tho -- there are those reports from Europe about ppl stealing signals from FOB's, but there's no reports of ppl stealing Bluetooth signals correct? If so, why is this if they're easy to hack?

perfect, thanks. Leads to my next question tho -- there are those reports from Europe about ppl stealing signals from FOB's, but there's no reports of ppl stealing Bluetooth signals correct? If so, why is this if they're easy to hack?

I think the same reason why there’s virtually zero reports of this in the US, and why rear quarter window smashing is so common in the SF Bay Area but basically unheard of elsewhere....

Thieves are not exactly the smartest and most up to date. They want to try something that they know works. Nothing that I’ve seen in the Tesla implementation technically stops BT relay attacks from being possible... just like nothing stops the FOB attacks from being easily done in the USA.

But there is something to be said about doomsday prepping... There’s a million and one things that are easy to pull off and can be common place “any day now” but have yet to happen. A life spent worrying about all of that is not a very high quality one in my opinion.

You know... all I wanted out of this post was basic information on what's hackable and what's not, how, and potential solutions for anything that is an issue. Sadly I've failed to get any of that. :(

A solution for the FOB is that $10 sleeve from Amazon, but I'm no closer to figuring out anything regarding the Bluetooth.
I apologize for being a d***, and I understand your quest. I think current data (not historical data, as you rightly pointed out) would be quite helpful to understand the extent of the problem. I'm suspicious of anecdotes and public safety warnings (not to mention advertisements from those with a solution) because they've generally got an angle. I'm not saying it's not a problem, just saying I don't accept it's a big problem until some hard data is in. In the meantime, I agree that it's prudent to protect one's property to the extent it's practical.