TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Key Card Troubles

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Pons, Sep 12, 2018.

?

Have you had trouble opening/starting the car with...?

1. Key Card

3.7%
  2. Phone Key App

37.0%
  3. Both Key and Phone

3.7%
  4. None

55.6%
  1. Pons

Pons New Member

Tapping the Key Card on the center of the pillar or on the cup holders works sometimes, but not every time. And it seems to be getting worse.

Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone need a replacement card?

Is there a trick to make the RFID card more effective? I feel dumb trying to tap my car open for 5 minutes. Anything else I can try? I park under solar panels at work. Could the noise cause the cars reader to malfunction, or is my card becoming defective?

Luckily the phone key has been working well.

From https://www.tesla.com/support/model-3#key-card-entry
    "To lock or unlock, tap your Model 3 key card on the center of the pillar to the right of the driver’s window. To start your Model 3, tap your key card behind the cup holders, place your foot on the brake pedal to start."

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

Due to the nature of RFID that has no battery to amplify its signal, please need to find an exact location that works and use that for future.

3. miimura

miimura Active Member

I don't tap the card on the pillar, I swipe it from the camera down the pillar. You might be missing the right spot, swiping will alleviate that issue.
    Also, if the car doesn't unlock with the phone, I open the app, then swipe up the control panel and toggle Bluetooth Off and On. That works 100% for me to get the phone to connect to the car as a key. I have an iPhone 6 on iOS 10. I only use the key card if I just need to get into the car to retrieve something and don't need to drive it. I have never had to use the card to drive.

4. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

Don't tap, hold for a few seconds. On the outside, it is just below the camera.
    On the inside a recommend laying it down between the back cup holder and the storage compartment.

Works every time for me.

5. RayK

RayK Member

Can't properly vote. I exclusively use the keycard and have not had any problems opening or starting. So if I select NONE, it implies that I have not had problems with the phone as key. Which I can't confirm since I've never linked my phone to the car.

Since owning the 3 I have NOT swiped the card down the B-pillar. Just hold it against the car about two inches below the camera. I keep the card in a clear plastic holder by itself; no other RFID chips like my work badge or ChargePoint tag.

• Like x 1
  6. scottysize

scottysize Member

Key card works every time. I don't even have to take it out of my wallet. I just tap my wallet on the pillar and the door unlocks.

Several times my iPhone X hasn't unlocked the doors by pulling on the handle. I have to try 2 or 3 times before it finally unlocks.

• Like x 1
  7. Ejl80

Ejl80 Supporting Member

Is background data on?

8. scottysize

scottysize Member

I've got unlimited data, so yes. I don't turn off any background data.

9. Acps110

Acps110 Member

One thing to point out with the keycard... Both the Tesla logo on the front and the pictograph on the back are printed in the wrong orientation. Both are printed landscape when the key is meant to be used in the portrait orientation.