Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key card wouldn't work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed 2019.32 last night. No issues. I got in my car to go to work this morning like normal. Again, no issues. Phone key worked as it should.

When I went to leave work this evening, my car would not recognize the phone key. This is somewhat rare. I normally open the app to force things to sync up.

This evening, that did not work. I keep my key card in my wallet. I pulled out the key card to unlock the car that way. The key card wouldn't even work. I was starting to worry because I thought the key card would be the sure thing to unlock the car. I went back to the app to see if I could get any of the functions to work. I was able to honk the horn and flash the lights, but I could not open the frunk or trunk or unlock the doors. The app would show the pad lock as unlocked momentarily, but then would switch back to locked. The phone key finally connected after a few frustrating minutes and I was able to open the door.

When I got home and had the car parked, I rebooted the MCU just for good measure. I got out of my car and the key card worked again. The lights flashed and the mirrors folded and unfolded as the key card locked and unlocked the doors.

Has anyone else had this experience? Any advice to make the key card work when it won't?

Hey - I have a MX and saw similar problems with .32 - went to car and it wouldn’t recognize key - I could honk horn and such from app but couldn’t open doors - so I walked away and walked back and it worked

The doors have acted funny for 2 Fay’s now and I have had to recalibrate the wing doors 3x - but the recalibration doesn’t open and close the doors fully like normal so something is wacky here...

This AM car was completely dead even though I charged it 32 hours ago and only drove 20 miles yesterday.

Tesla service is coming to row it this morning to the shop....

Reactions: TM3CA
Hey - I have a MX and saw similar problems with .32 - went to car and it wouldn’t recognize key - I could honk horn and such from app but couldn’t open doors - so I walked away and walked back and it worked

The doors have acted funny for 2 Fay’s now and I have had to recalibrate the wing doors 3x - but the recalibration doesn’t open and close the doors fully like normal so something is wacky here...

This AM car was completely dead even though I charged it 32 hours ago and only drove 20 miles yesterday.

Tesla service is coming to row it this morning to the shop....
Sorry to hear that.

I probably should have tried walking away from the car to see if the bluetooth would have reconnected that way or maybe even turned it off and back on, but I really didn't expect the key card not to work. The car has been fine since then.